Rosie’s Class…Not Just A Club

Graduate, Rosie Arbittier, had no idea of the impact that her little club would have on so many people.

Photo Submitted

Rosie’s class students on a nice day outside enjoying the fresh air.

In 2016, Dallastown Student Rosie Arbittier wanted a way to help students in the Life Skills Class to feel more included in the high school’s normal daily activities. What she started was Rosie’s Class. 

At first, this club was very small. It mostly included the Life Skills Classroom and a few of Rosie’s friends, but over the years, it has grown a lot. 

Kathleen Queenan is a senior at Dallastown Area High School and she helps run this club. She is devoted to helping the life skills classroom.

Queenan stated, “Now, the life skills, autistic support, and Intensive learning support classes in BOTH the middle school and high school participate. I’m not sure exactly how many people participate, but we have a lot of people!”

Whether the students and volunteers are watching the students connect with each other or making lifelong friendships it can impact someone greatly. 

Queenan said, “My favorite part is seeing the friendships that form during Rosie’s. Students that may not have been friends form great friendships both in and out of school. I love seeing the inclusion that it is spreading throughout our school.” 

“My favorite part is seeing the friendships that form during Rosie’s. Students that may not have been friends form great friendships both in and out of school. I love seeing the inclusion that it is spreading throughout our school.”

— Kathleen Queenan

In Rosie’s the students in the club do a variety of things that include playing games, eating snacks, doing crafts, taking walks, and on nice days, even going outside for activities.

Queenan stated, “We mix up what this extra activity is every week but some favorites are: crafts, board games, going outside, scavenger hunts, stations, and so much more!” 

Covid has affected almost all of the clubs in the Dallastown Area High School in some way. 

Queenan said, “Rosie’s looks a lot different this year because of COVID. We moved to zoom every other week for 30 minutes. It’s not safe to have that many people in one room right now. A lot of students with special needs struggle with being on the computer for too much or too long, so that’s why we do it every other Thursday and for only 30 minutes.” 

She also added, “We like to refer to everyone as either a student or participant. This is just one way to reinforce that everyone is equal, because we are all the same age!”