Building Leadership For Student Athletes

FCA is the cornerstone for Christian athletes wanting to build their leadership skills and learn how to lead a team.

Dave Gable

Dallastown wrestlers Jarrett Feeney, Cael Turnbull, Dalton Daugherty, Brooks Gable, and Hunter Sweitzer attend FCA Wrestling camp. They all went to the camp in the summer of 2017, and it was held here in York, PA.

The Dallastown wrestling team is one of over 17,000 certified “huddles” of FCA, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

FCA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, is a Christian sports ministry which preaches the word of Jesus Christ to coaches and athletes all around the world. FCA’s main goal is to help student athletes define themselves and build a strong relationship with their religion.

FCA isn’t just meant for the heavily practiced Christians. Many student-athletes on the wrestling team aren’t very religious; however, FCA helps one find your identity while having fun at the same time.  

It was first founded in 1954 by  Don McClanen in Norman, Oklahoma. It didn’t take long before it was shared worldwide when Sports Illustrated featured FCA in it’s February issue in 1956.

For some, young student-athletes may have an issue finding a sense of faith and self-acceptance. FCA provides the answer to those trying to understand themselves in a way beyond just wins and losses.

Recently at Dallastown, the wrestling team has included FCA into their schedule. The athletes run the “huddle” where they read out of the books that FCA provides. It teaches the athletes many characteristics and lessons right from the bible.

The team holds two optional huddles a week after practice, while some of the coaches join in.

“Wrestling is the first team to have formed an FCA huddle, but interest has been expressed by athletes in several other programs,” wrestling coach Mr. Gable states.

One of FCA’s main focus points is that there is much more to learn than the outcome of a sporting event.

“FCA has taught me to be less anxious and worried about wrestling, and in life. It shows me that God has a plan for me and all my hard work and sacrifice will eventually pay off,” senior varsity wrestler Franklin Klinger said.

FCA has also had an impact on the younger athletes on teams. “It keeps teammates connected spiritually and makes for better relationships between God and teammates” said sophomore Brooks Gable.

After a long process, FCA is now represented in over 60 countries and has over 17,000 certified huddles. FCA has shown student athletes that they have been gifted by God, and now is the time to make an impact.

FCA has brought many closer in a relationship with God, and has a great opportunity to do the same at Dallastown. It is more than just winning and losing, it teaches how to be a great leader and to bring people closer to the one above.