The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Slicing Through the Deli Dilemma

Dallastown student offers mouthwatering guide to the world of lunch meat.

Picture yourself on one of your childhood field trips. I’m sure you have one that jumps to  mind. Now recall lunch; that brown paper bag with that sandwich from mom. Maybe a peanut butter & jelly or a tuna sandwich. For me it has always been lunch meats.

All my life I have had a great passion for deli meat. It’s been more than just a meal, it’s been a feeling. Whether it be the sweetness of a good honey ham, the tang of sandwich sliced salami, or the savory taste of cracked pepper turkey. Each different meat coming with its own feeling.

As a self professed deli meat connoisseur it struck me that I should reveal to the world my favorites in the category. As a kid I recall the loving feeling washing over me eating my turkey and cheese in the cafeteria. Now I bring to you my favorite deli meats out today.

5. Pastrami

Photo of Pastrami (Evan Atwood)

Pastrami, with its rich history and flavorful profile, is a deli staple that never fails to delight the taste buds. The perfectly seasoned beef, cured with a blend of spices and herbs, is then smoked to tender perfection, resulting in a savory masterpiece.

4. Prosciutto

Photo of Prosciutto (Evan Atwood)

What sets prosciutto apart is not just its exceptional flavor, but also the artistry and tradition behind its production. Made with meticulous attention to detail and a time-honored curing process that dates back centuries, every slice of prosciutto tells a story of heritage and expertise.

3. Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

Photo of Oven Roasted Turkey Breast (Evan Atwood)

Whether served cold in a sandwich or heated up for a warm meal, this versatile protein option provides a delicious and healthy addition to any dish, making it a go-to choice for those seeking a quick and nutritious meal solution, as well as an all time favorite of mine.

2. Sandwich Pepperoni

Photo of Sandwich Sliced Pepperoni (Evan Atwood)

Its strong flavor profile pairs well with a variety of ingredients, from creamy spreads to crunchy toppings, offering endless possibilities for creative sandwich enthusiasts. Whether you’re crafting a quick lunch or preparing a gourmet spread, deli sliced sandwich pepperoni adds a piquant flavor that elevates every bite to new heights of deliciousness.

1. Honey Ham

Photo of Honey Ham (Evan Atwood)

Honey ham, with its sweet and savory flavor profile, is a timeless favorite among deli meats. Each slice boasts a succulent texture and a hint of honey glaze, creating a mouthwatering experience with every bite. Whether enjoyed in a sandwich with tangy mustard and crisp lettuce or served as part of a charcuterie board with assorted cheeses and crackers, honey ham adds a touch of indulgence to any meal. Honey ham is truly a delicacy and my favorite deli meat of all time.

Deli meat is more than just sliced meat to me, its an art. Allow me to take you back to that field trip. Maybe you opened the brown paper bag to a bold pastrami sandwich, a delicate prosciutto with some crackers, a classic turkey and cheese, a flavorful italian cold cut with pepperoni, or a sweet delight of a ham sandwich. With each variant a unique feeling, that is the magic of deli meat.