The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Spreading Meaningful Inclusion

Dallastown’s Unified Club works to unite the community and create a welcoming environment for all.
Club members represent Unified in the annual Dallastown Halloween Parade. (dtownunified Instagram)

Unified Club, on its surface, is exactly what it sounds like – an extracurricular activity that brings people together.

But at its core, Unified is so much more than just a club.

Every Thursday afternoon in wildcat period, members of the club with and without intellectual disabilities meet to participate in fun activities such as scavenger hunts, capture the flag, and trivia.

Club advisor and special education teacher, Lindsey Wolfe, loves to capture the joy of her students when they attend Unified.

“The most rewarding part of being involved in Unified is watching the smiles on my students’ faces when they go to Club!” She expresses.

Wolfe discovered her desire to become a special education teacher when she was a Therapeutic Support Staff (TSS) working with a young boy who has autism.

“I fell in love with working with him alongside other students with special needs,” Wolfe explains. “At this point in my life, I knew I wanted to go back [to school] to further my education and receive my master’s degree in special education.”

Wolfe has now been teaching at DHS for five years and has been the advisor of Unified for a year.

Every Thursday for the past year, Wolfe has been able to witness new friendships being made.

“It brings a smile to my face and melts my heart when I see my students and members of the club create friendships!” She shares. “I know it means a lot to me, but also to my student’s families. It is truly an incredible sight to see!”

Sophomore club officer Reagan Bailey is also able to experience the joy that Unified Club brings.

“Coming into Club every day being the attendance secretary and seeing tons of new faces and names on our attendance sheet makes my day,” Bailey notes.

She is proud of being an officer because she is able to have a positive impact on the school and community.

“I’m open to millions of opportunities to bring a welcoming environment to everyone.”

Unified’s mission is to demonstrate meaningful inclusion and create everlasting relationships. It is meant to be a safe and inclusive space for all students.

“Everyone should feel included, valued, and respected.” Bailey writes. “This isn’t just a club, it’s a family –  and we welcome everyone with open arms.”