The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Life is What You Bake it

Kennedy Messinger’s baking business helps the community.
Kennedy+Messinger+poses+for+a+photo+after+a+bake+sale+with+the+money+she+raised.+With+this+money%2C+Messinger+bought+Christmas+presents+for+5+local+teenagers.+
kennedyskakes17 (Instagram)
Kennedy Messinger poses for a photo after a bake sale with the money she raised. With this money, Messinger bought Christmas presents for 5 local teenagers.

When it comes to Junior Kennedy Messinger, she has always loved baking.

However, she takes it above and beyond when she makes a difference in the lives of many with a single cake.

Since 2019, Messinger has run the account “kennedyskakes17” on Instagram where she presents and sells her creations to over 100 followers.

I chose to donate my money because there is a lot of bad in the world and I want to be a part of the good.

— Kennedy Messinger

“I found it was a special way to connect with people in my community,” 

But she doesn’t stop there. All of the profit she has made goes to charity. She has donated over $700 to organizations such as the Make-a-Wish Foundation and Crispus Attucks.

“Over the past 4 years, I have bought local kids in the community Christmas presents and have helped 15+ kids have Merry Christmas’.” 

She provides the kids with not only plain necessities like soap, and deodorant, but she also is able to gift them everything on their lists.

Messinger has raised $4,543 for these local kids alone. In total, she has donated $5,256.36. 

“I chose to donate my money because there is a lot of bad in the world and I want to be a part of the good,” She expresses. “I hope that if people see me spreading kindness they will do the same and slowly make the world a better place to be.”

Baking isn’t the only thing that takes up her time. She is involved with Minithon, Orchestra, Unified Club, FAM, GLI, and Health Stat Club.

Outside of school, she plays softball, volunteers at Wellspan, and works at Country Meadows Retirement Home. 

With such a busy schedule, it is a wonder how she manages all of it.

“I will sometimes have to stay up till 6 a.m. baking or get up at 3 in the morning to complete an order for school.”

On top of everything she manages a 4.1-4.2 GPA with straight A’s. 

Thankfully, she has had support along the way.

When she does have free time, she enjoys swimming, reading, playing with her dog, and hanging out with her friends.

Her best friend of 12 years, Kyleigh Hampshire, supports her and her business the best she can. 

“Kennedy is a very caring person. She finds joy in helping people and is always looking for ways she can help others,” Hampshire expresses.

Her praise doesn’t stop there.

“I think what she does with all the money at Christmas is so special… Kennedy does an amazing job with making desserts and providing for those in need.”

After high school, Messinger plans to continue running the account even during college. She plans to get her master’s and become a nurse practitioner.

Messenger’s involvement in the community has impacted the lives of many and she did it all with a single hobby. 

“I knew I could use my talents in the kitchen to bring baking and people together.”