The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Behind the Music

Get to know Dallastown’s Lilly Wynkoop and her journey to center stage.

You may know her from seeing her in the halls, perhaps the school performances, or even saw her face displayed in the front lobby. 

There’s a chance you got to see her in the spotlight. Heard, her voice carried throughout the halls. So, who is she?

Wyncoop performing “The Campfire Song” during Percy Jackson. This was her last performance at Dallastown. (Chris Riddle)

For those who don’t know, you’re about to find out. Lilly Wynkoop is a senior at Dallastown High School. Starting with her best-known role as Annabeth in this year’s musical, Percy Jackson, she shined on stage. 

At this point, she’s a pro having countless roles throughout the years. These roles include Annabeth (Percy Jackson), Cat in the Hat, Vivienne (Legally Blonde), and Sven (Frozen). 

Rolling into these roles doesn’t just happen overnight it takes months of tireless dedication.

Rehearsals start in late winter and can last anywhere from 3-12 hours. When it comes to those long rehearsals, “Lilly always brings the most positive and supportive energy possible,” Claire Birkeland says. 

Birkeland has been a close friend of Wynkoop since 1st grade, and since then have shared their talent for music. 

”I’m so proud of her accomplishments and how hard she worked to get where she is, her natural talent is insane.” Birkeland tells. 

Now a musical can’t be a musical without singing so of course Lilly has a big choir background. She started singing in the 4th grade choir working her way up, even becoming a part of York County Junior Honors choir.

She has not only been to districts multiple years, but this year she made it to regions and states.

Wyncoop will continue her love for the arts even in college. Photo credits to @dallastown2024 on Instagram.

“I was in the first-ever a cappella group this year,” Wyncoop states.

This a cappella group was composed of the top singers, where they performed in a choir together.

When asked what others should know about joining musicals Wynkoop stressed that “everyone should have a sense of belonging and be a part of something. Musicals are so awesome for meeting new people and trying new things.” 

So what will she do now once she graduates? Wynkoop will be attending Salisbury College and majoring in music education. 

If you’re lucky enough to go, there might be a chance you’ll get to see her on stage again.