Categories:

Homecoming Happenings

Student Council plans a week of activities to celebrate HOCO 2024.
Student council banner for homecoming
Student council banner for homecoming
Student council instagram

Dallastown’s most anticipated week is here! 

Homecoming is something everyone is talking about, so here are some homecoming updates students may want to know and look forward to. 

Student Council will start the week of Sept. 23 off with a Spirit Week. 

According to Student Council President Abby Sachs spirit days were hard to choose. 

“This year spirit week has been a difficult subject. We worked hard to find interactive and fun spirit days that also are school appropriate and would get approved by administration,” Sachs said.

In the end, Student Council chose five spirit days for students to get creative with in their outfits. 

Spirit day list posted by Student Council. (Student council Instagram )

On Sept. 25 Student Council will host the annual Powder Puff game where underclassmen girls (9-10) play against upperclassmen girls (11-12) in flag football. Tickets cost $3.00 and the game starts at 7 p.m. 

New this year, Dallastown cheerleading sold t-shirts online for the Powder Puff game. Fans will be able to see a performance from the Powder Puff cheerleaders, a group of male students(seniors)who will support the teams on the sidelines and dance at half time.

Friday, Sept. 27 is the homecoming football game against Central York at 7 p.m. 

The homecoming court has been announced with 8 male seniors and 8 female seniors. Students at Dallastown will be able to vote who their king and queen will be and will be announced at the game.   

The court will be recognized in a pregame ceremony and the winners will be crowned at half in front of the student section.                              

The Dallastown Homecoming Court for the 2024-2025 school year. (Carter Lewis )          

The dance will be held at Dallastown Area High School in the gym from 7-10 p.m. This year’s theme is Meet Me at Midnight.

The theme was selected at the first meeting and presented by juniors Sophia Long & Charlotte Wolfsheimer

“When the clock hits midnight it’s like a fairytale. You find the people you want to dance the night away with. I love this theme because it makes me feel like I am in a movie. Going out and finding the one person you want to spend your night with right as the clock strikes twelve,” Sophia  Long said.                                                                                                                   

According to Mrs.Huyett and Mr.Hostetter who are Student Council advisors, 1,300 students attended last year. That number can leave safety concerns for many parents and students when going to homecoming.

“We have hired security in addition to multiple police officers. In addition, all of the principals attend, and many teachers volunteer their time for the evening,” says Huyett and Hostetter.

Student Council and National Art Society are very busy the night before the dance and before the dance starts with painting the lobby and getting decorations ready for students to have a good time. All student council members must help to set up. 

The Student Council has different committees the decoration committee spends time buying decorations and setting up.

“You will get to see the dark colors with the fairy lights pop all throughout the school to give that night time, moonlight sparkle feel. NAHS will paint a cute stone path that will lead to our tall clock tower frozen at the time midnight in the lobby. In the cafeteria, the poles will be covered in silver and blue tulle, and the tables will have an elegant black table cloth and flower centerpieces,” Long said. 

Music is also a big part of homecoming. Student council takes music recommendations weeks before the dance but not during the dance. 

The DJ then  decides what music should be played so students can have a good time. 

Student Council members dedicate a lot of time to the event. They set up for four hours the day of the dance, and they also have to take everything down after homecoming is over.

“Right now we have been putting in a lot of work for homecoming,” Sachs says.

Huyett and Hostetter say that the dress code is semi-formal to formal. 

It’s a busy week for students.

“During homecoming week there are so many activities students can be involved in. Even for the smallest bit of involvement, students can participate in the spirit days that are held throughout the week,” Sachs says.

Morning announcements and Mrs.Huyett’s emails about homecoming will provide more information about homecoming week. 

“Students should expect a GREAT time! We have lots of yummy snacks planned to include dirt pudding and cake pops, we have activities ready including the photobooth and cornhole, and we have the dance floor ready!” Huyett says.

Donate to The Beacon
$500
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dallastown Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.