Categories:

Preparing with Passion

Dallastown Marching Band gets ready for the 2024 season.
Seniors Max Scarcelli, Jaleessa Watkins, Kailee Bolen, Khloe Richardson, and Sophie Bradley preforming the small enssemble group in the song "Turn Around" by Tina Turner.
Seniors Max Scarcelli, Jaleessa Watkins, Kailee Bolen, Khloe Richardson, and Sophie Bradley preforming the small enssemble group in the song “Turn Around” by Tina Turner.
Sienna Seufert

Friday night football games are a staple in the classic high school experience. But not just the football players who practice daily for these fall Friday nights. 

The concept of the marching band has been a part of American High School football since 1856.

The Dallastown Marching Band is comprised of 123 talented individuals, including brass, winds, drumline, pit, color guard, and majorettes, all following the synchronized gestures of drum majors Julie Cioffi and Max Scarcelli. Each of them has worked tireless hours with the guidance of 10 staff members to bring their seven-minute show to life. This year’s performance is entitled “Leading Ladies,” spotlighting music’s most timeless female artists.

Though it hasn’t always looked the way it does now. This determined group has worked for 200+ hours all summer. But everything started with a decision on the theme.

Justin Buer, who acts as head director of the ensemble,  mentions that the staff has a list of possible themes and that the deciding factor is timing. He says that because a student had mentioned doing Lady Gaga last year. While this year’s show doesn’t contain any songs by this talented artist, it paved the way for the idea of leading ladies. 

“There’s a time and place for every type of show, our job is to find that time and place,” Buer states, giving a slight background to the show selection process. 

Many sports build lifelong friendships, marching band and other music programs can also provide that type of support and love in the same way. Marching band is seen by many students as a “family”. 

Every student has had different experiences with the band, some better than others.

“Marching band is an in-person experience, it’s one of a kind and the only true way to understand is by being there,” Buer mentions.

Many musicians in this esteemed group have views similar to those of their director.

“Marching band is an experience like nothing else. The people you get to meet, the places you get to travel to, just the opportunities in itself are amazing,”  junior Scottie Quantz states when asked why people should join the marching band. 

The pure enjoyment of being a part of such an amazing group of people who are all working towards the same goal is what makes many of these musicians stay and work so hard every year. 

The group practices every Tuesday and Thursday night to prepare for those iconic Friday games. Performances of the show are normally pre-game at home games and halftime at away games.

In addition, they perform at other shows and competitions that consume many hours of their weekends, all bringing a sense of liveliness to the field.

For Buer “watching the full show for the first time, no matter how bad it may be, is such a rewarding experience.” He states that watching all the tireless hours and hard work finally come together into a final product. 

American football is important to experiencing the full high school effect. But where would this one-of-a-kind experience be if this talented group didn’t create their own love for a different part of the beloved Friday nights?

Donate to The Beacon
$500
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dallastown Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.