Categories:

Leader Looks Back: A Timeless Celebration

How Homecoming traditions have transformed over time at Dallastown High School.
1986 homecoming dance in Dallastown High school's cafeteria
1986 students gathered in the Highschool’s Gymnasiums for the “A Night in the Orient” themed dance.
Dallastown Spectator archives

Homecoming, a beloved event that has been going on at Dallastown High School since its debut in October of 1959, has gone through a plethora of changes throughout the years. 

1960's Homecoming Queen being crowned
Dallastown’s first-ever Homecoming Queen, Judy Stump (’59), being crowned in front of students, alumni, & faculty at the dance.

Many students in 2024  share similar experiences with former students spanning the decades, but some former traditions are only kept alive by the pictures and stories alumni have to show and tell.

While attending Homecoming events, today’s students mention the HOCO spirit week, Powder puff game, Homecoming game, and the iconic dance. But few current students are aware of the traditions and trends that have since then been dropped from the roster.

Many alumni recall a joyous Homecoming parade, that Dallastown no longer offers, utilized to reign in the spirit of the event that included cheerleaders, football players, majorettes, the band, and even class floats!

In the earlier years of the parade, the class floats would circle around the track with the Homecoming Court at the start of the Homecoming Football game. While in later years, the parade would flow through a fan-packed Main Street and finish with a spirit-filled bonfire.

1989 Homecoming parade float with students aboard
1989 Upperclassmen posing for a picture with their hand-crafted class float and Willy the Wildcat for the Homecoming parade!

“We always twirled fire at homecoming and lived to tell about it,” former majorette, Joy Alison Dolan, said while sharing her thrilling experience.

“I loved the parade for us football players and cheerleaders the night before the homecoming game, that was followed by a huge bonfire. It was a great time to hang out and was considered, by many, a huge pep-rally,” graduate Todd Snyder (’92) exclaimed whilst reflecting on the event as a whole.

For the parade, students were held responsible for making one of the 2 floats to represent their class. Freshman and sophomores were put in charge of the underclassmen float, while juniors and seniors were in charge of the upperclassmen float.

“The absolute best part of fall and Homecoming was going to someone’s barn and creating a class float from chicken wire and tissue-paper flowers,” Michelle Godfrey, current teacher at Dallastown High school, shared when speaking of her parade highlights from a more creative perspective.

1989 Dallastown High school's homecoming celebratory bonfire
1998 Dallastown Homecoming students rally around a Bonfire in anticipation for the Homecoming game the following day.

As stated before, the bonfire would finish off the night after the parade in order to excite and connect students and get them “pumped up” for the Homecoming football game the following day.

“The bonfire happened right before homecoming; all the sports teams were there for the bonfire. Everyone was doing stuff and getting fired up for games coming up, so much school spirit that night. I don’t even know; it’s been a long time since they’ve had that kind of stuff,” alumni Jay Leader (’88) said when asked about the bonfire that was held after the parade. 

“My favorite homecoming memories included the bonfire near the middle school and the parade around Dallastown,” former student and current teacher, Stefanie Smeltzer (’00) shared. 

Smeltzer then went on to share memories of the Bonfire, similar to Leader’s, including the hopeful expectations to see the bonfire return to Dallastown.

“All school groups participated in the parade that ended with a large bonfire. We would love to see that tradition brought back to DHS,” Smeltzer exclaimed.

While other aspects of the celebratory homecoming events have remained the same as the Homecoming game and powder puff, what has changed with topics related to the dance over the years from the dance itself, the proposals, and fashion?

When walking through the halls during Homecoming week or scrolling through your feed, you may see a variety of Homecoming proposals.

A typical proposal today would consist of a thoughtful sign and maybe a few gifts for whomever you are asking to dance, but that wasn’t always the case in earlier years. Many alumni, including Leader, can remember a more casual style of “proposals”.

“Normally a lot of time just like anyone else you would go with your friends, boyfriend, or girlfriend, if you didn’t get asked typically you wouldn’t go. You’d ask someone there at school, but you didn’t do the stuff you do now with the big signs,” Leader expressed after sharing the typical Homecoming process for guests.

As for the fashion of the dance, men’s attire completed with a tux or suit has not changed much over time, but the women’s ensemble is seemingly ever-changing according to the trends at the time.

Today, more fitted dresses are popular amongst the female students, with the exception of a more casual dress style that is currently trending for the 2024 Homecoming year. Some female students today even opt for a suit as well, which is maybe something that would have not been as popular in earlier years.

Dresses worn by female students over the years have gone through a number of alterations from very conservative, simplistic, bedazzled, fitted, loose, short, and long.

“Homecoming dresses in the mid-late 80’s was all about Princess Diana. We had long full skirts, large puffy sleeves, and sweetheart necklines,” Stated Dallastown graduate Suzanne Kulp Abbott (’88) while describing the popular style dresses amongst girls attending the dance, a style that you most likely wouldn’t see walking into a dance today.

1988 Homecoming court and Homecoming queen, Gretchen Watson.
1988 Homecoming court and queen, Kelly Ream, after the crowning ceremony at the “Camelot: A Royal Enchantment” themed dance.

The Homecoming Court was originally only made up of women for 47 years until men were eligible to run for Homecoming King alongside those who were running for Queen. The first Homecoming King Redd Gunderson was crowned in the 2004-2005 school year.

When attending the dance in the 50’s-90’s you didn’t need an ID to access the dance, you just walked right in with your purchased ticket! Guest forms had also not been introduced yet at the time. Dances were held from 8-11 while the dance is now currently held from 7-10 due to license curfew laws being changed. 

With almost 70 years of tradition, Homecoming at DHS has become a favorite part of most student’s high school experience. Even though it’s changed in many ways, it will always remain a timeless celebration for Dallastown students.

Donate to The Beacon
$500
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dallastown Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.