Gable: “I’ll miss most the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives.”

Biology teacher Mr. Gable has always had a passion for helping students o achieve their goals in school.

Katelyn Diehl, Editor-In-Chief

As the 2021 – 2022 school year comes to an end, Dallastown students will have to say goodbye to many things.

This year students will be saying goodbye to the wrestling wonder and Biology braniac we know as Mr. Gable.

In 1989, Gable joined the Dallastown family as a Biology teacher and currently teaches CCR Biology classes A, B, and C.

After 10 years of working here, Mr. Gable fell in love with one of the Algebra teachers that we now know as Mrs. Gable.

“We met at Dallastown mainly through my sister Miss. Gable,” he said. “I was a tag along on their outings.

Since they got married, Dallastown has gotten used to having three teachers that share the last name of Gable: Mr. Gable and his wife, as well as Mr. Gable’s sister Miss. Gable.

“I will miss him being here everyday,” said his wife, Mrs. Gable. “We don’t do the day to day stuff together here,” she explained. “But it will still be weird not having him here everyday.”

Although they don’t see each other very much while at school, Mr. and Mrs. Gable have been able to watch each other grow in their careers.

“I have seen him develop closer relationships with his students and athletes over the years,” Mrs. Gable noted. “He accepts and cares about all people and I think that shows in his teaching style.”

In his 33 years of teaching, Mr. Gable has never dreaded coming to work. As a teacher he has learned so many important lessons regarding students and their needs.

In my opinion, we have one of the rare occupations that provides a daily chance to make someone’s life better in both the present and the future.

— Mr. Gable

“What we teach isn’t nearly as important as how we interact with the students,” he stated. “Each student is different, there is never a “one size fits all” approach to teaching.”

Along with teaching biology Mr. Gable is also known for his involvement in the high School’s wrestling program, which he got involved in at the start of his career in 1989.

“I became the Head Varsity Coach during my 1st year of teaching,” he said. “I was head Varsity Coach for 25 years, Head Junior High Coach 4 years, and Director of Youth Wrestling 4 years.”

As a coach, Mr. Gable was able to learn more about his students and has allowed him to understand more about them.

“It has given me the opportunity to see students in an area of interest outside of the classroom,” he stated. “It also gave me an opportunity to get to know the students at a greater level due to the amount of time spent together.”

Mr. Gable will leave a lasting impact on Dallastown and its students, and is able to walk away with some everlasting memories. 

“I think I will miss most the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people,” he noted. “In my opinion, we have one of the rare occupations that provides a daily chance to make someone’s life better in both the present and the future.”

Teaching has also allowed Mr. Gable to become closer to other Dallastown staff members, and connect with them.

“I will also greatly miss the staff here at Dallastown who I greatly respect and cherish their friendship and support.”