On a “Mission” to Help Others

We cannot do great things on this Earth, only small things with great love. -Mother Teresa

Submitted

“Joyful” That’s the word Dyke used to describe this family. The picture was taken just minutes after he met them and they were all smiles. He has never met people that have so little yet are so happy.

Thousands of people all around the world are living in poverty. Some are found here at home and others in places you may have never imagined.

Mr. Keith Dyke, Supervisor of Social and Student Services at DAHS, has a passion for helping these people.

Dyke not only goes on mission trips, but he has been leading them since he was in his 20s.

Over the years, he has gone on eight different trips. He has been to Mexico, India, the Dominican Republic, and Ohio.

Dyke is grateful to go on each trip saying, “They each have their own special parts.”

His trip last summer really spoke to him.

A passion for art is what one of the students Dyke took had to offer. After teaching the kids some art she allowed them to paint all over the overalls. Keeping them as a memory of the journey she made.

“It reminded me when you decide to be joyful you can change the climate around you.”

For his most recent trip, he took a group down to the Dominican Republic, specifically La Romana.

They were helping people of all ages, and the experience touched the volunteers of all ages.

One of the students who went on the trip said, “The most amazing thing of all is how God’s love crosses borders, how His joy isn’t diminished by contrastingly different cultures.

While there they did things like Bible school, afternoon programming, sports, art, life skills, and adult education. They also did things like package food and clothing to give to families.

Dyke says that his job as Supervisor of Social and Student Services  is just a “Byproduct” of who he is. He does believe that the things he sees and learns effects how he does his job. 

Life is bigger than Dallastown, life is bigger than York, life is bigger than PA, and even bigger than the US.

— Dyke

The experience of being a minority in a country is a new experience for Dyke, but guides him in being more empathetic.

He has grown an understanding for the world on a deeper level.

One thing that he really wants his children to understand is that, “Life is bigger than Dallastown, life is bigger than York, life is bigger than PA, and even bigger than the US.”

Dyke encourages anyone that has the opportunity to go on a mission trip, should take it. “Everyone deserves to have the opportunity to broaden their horizons.”