On the Track

November 21, 2023

While the track is not being redone and only going to be unavailable during the construction, it still made so many memories shared in the stadium.

Throughout the years, the Dallastown community would walk or run around the track. It was mostly utilized for exercise, gym class, or just walking around it during sporting events.

But they didn’t always have the track that we know today, it used to be made out of cinder and gravel.

In 1986 the track was replaced with the all-weather track. The track needed an upgrade and it made it more suitable for runners and community members to use.

At football games, many students of Dallastown and visiting schools would utilize the track to talk with friends. It was a time that students could be very social with one another and create memories.

Everyone used to “walk” the track during the games, hanging out with friends and classmates. By far the absolute best part of high school

— Dallastown Alumni

During springtime, the track is always filled with students on the track team practicing. 

At Dallastown, runners have been running in the stadium for numerous years, and have built memories and friendships that would last a lifetime. 

I still remember my best races under the lights in the invites and county championships. These experiences and positive memories of the facility certainly helped shape me and little did I know I’d become a Head NCAA DI Cross Country/Track and Field Coach as a result of those experiences,” Former DAHS track athlete Stacie Wentz states.

When nobody is using the track many others take the opportunity to walk or run just for fun. They did it alone, with family, or with friends. And, they look forward to continuing after the construction of the stadium is done.

“I ran many laps on the old cinder track from 1964 through 1970. I have continued to run there occasionally since coming home from grad school in 1975. I hope to continue running there in the future. Lots of great track meet and physical education class memories there,” DAHS Alumni David Anderson says.

Walking the track not only was a way to boost your social life or to exercise, but it was a place of love, with memories that would last a lifetime.

“I met my husband at that stadium. In 9th grade, I was a cheerleader. My husband went to Tech, but we had a mutual friend that went to Dtown. We kept watching each other during a football game. He came over after the game. Before I even knew his name, I asked him for a piggyback ride. That was 18 years ago and our kids love to make fun of us because of it.” TBD states.