The Beacon

• March 134/18- Early Dismissal and Parent Teacher Conferences

• March 134/19- No School

• March 134/22- School in Session (Inclement Weather Makeup Day)

Myth or Trend?

There are many fashion do's and don'ts, but wearing navy and black together sparks many different opinions.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Myth or Trend?

One simple way to pair navy and black is to wear black jeans with a navy shirt under a grey sweater like this Dallastown senior.

McKenna Brodbeck

McKenna Brodbeck

McKenna Brodbeck

McKenna Brodbeck, Social Media Editor

Keep gold and silver separate, tall women should not wear heels, never mix patterns, wearing more than one bold color is unacceptable, and never wear white after Labor Day: all of these statements are considered fashion myths.

Another fashion myth that has been highly debated over the years is whether or not navy blue and black should be paired together in outfits

There are many opinions about these two colors. Some say it is unacceptable to pair them while others assert that the combination can make an outfit look chic.

Not only do fashion icons like Chloe Moretz, Taylor Swift, and Liv Tyler rock this look, but many Dallastown students do as well on the daily.

Sophomore Riley Tyson said, “I love wearing black and navy blue together, I think that wearing them together is a fashion-forward move and the myth should be broken!”

Nobody really knows when this myth started but there is some talk as to why.

When wearing this color combination it could be hard to tell them apart making the outfit look a little like a drab.

“I do not like navy and black together. I will never wear those two colors together,” senior Olivia Orendorf said. “They remind me of a bruise.”

Fashion Stylist from The-M-Dash, Tory Hoen, gives style advice to those who doubt this style.

From wearing a crisp navy dress with a pair of black heels to a boxy navy shirt with a pair of slim black pants, stylists support the pairing.

According to Cosmopolitan.com’s style editor Charles Manning, navy and black “is just one of those antiquated fashion rules” and he suggests “if the colors are particularly similar, it’s a good idea to layer them, so then the differences are more apparent.”

Just like professional stylists, students at Dallastown also have their own opinions about pairing these colors.

This navy and black look by a Dallastown senior consists of a pair of black and white striped pants with a vintage navy sweater.

“I don’t love blavy. Like if it’s black leggings and a navy shirt that has another color on it then it’s good, but a full navy shirt and black pants are not cute but a blue suit and black shoes is a no, the colors just don’t look right together,” senior Julie Leppo said.

Some say wearing navy and black together is a way to add dimension without a true “pop of color”.

When going for an edgy look with an outfit, it may not a bad idea to mix navy and black.

Of course, everyone has their own opinions about fashion but, it is really is all about what someone feels confident wearing

“It depends on the execution of the two colors together. It definitely isn’t always a no; dark colors naturally go together. However, in some situations, it can clash,” senior Olivia Jackson said.

At the end of the day, most fashion experts agree that almost any of the well-known fashion myths can be pulled off if paired together well and, most importantly, if worn with confidence.