The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Dallastown at Eras

Fans, both students and teachers, filled the stands for Taylor Swift’s concert in Philadelphia.
Eve Peters

Over 200,000 fans total flooded Lincoln Financial Field throughout a 3-night long sold-out show, Taylor Swift’s acclaimed “hometown show” in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 

A few of her fans were from Dallastown that weekend.

Friday, May 12 was opening night. Fans filled the stadium dressed and matched to different songs and albums of Taylor Swift to match with the tour, The Eras.

One of these fans was Kyleigh Hampshire, a current sophomore at Dallastown Area High School. She explained that she dressed in an outfit inspired by Swift’s album Lover.

“The concert is so magical! Wherever your seats are, Taylor makes it such a fun show! I cried as soon as she came out, I was so excited,” Hampshire exclaimed.

Phoebe Bridgers appeared on stage to sing a duet with Taylor Swift. Bridgers opens for Swift during this tour.

“One of my favorite parts was when Pheobe Bridgers and Taylor Swift sang their duet,” current junior Lily Wynkoop shares.

To kick off her first night in Philadelphia,  Swift chose ‘Gold Rush’, from her 2020 album Evermore due to the lyric in the song, “Eagles T-shirt hanging from the door.”

The second surprise song was ‘Come Back…Be Here’ from Swift’s 2012 album Red. This song was requested specifically by guest performer Pheobe Bridgers.

“Overall it was such a great night. Being out with friends, and screaming to throwback songs was one of the best parts,” recently graduated Resse Forella says.

Saturday, May 13 was the second night of the Philadelphia shows, and just as magical as the first night, according to two Dallastown teachers.

Senora Hermann, a Spanish teacher, and Mr. Hare, a French teacher both went to Saturday’s show together.

“My favorite parts were watching Mr. Hare see Taylor come out during the intro and the entire performance of ‘Look What You Made Me Do,’” Hermann recalls. “Overall, we are still very much recovering from the best night ever!

The surprise song that night was “Always & Forever” from Fearless as a guitar rendition, which shocked fans who prefer the piano version. Swift’s second surprise song of the night was “This Love” from her re-recorded 1989 album.

The third and final show on Sunday, May 14 was heartwarming because it was on Mother’s Day.

Current Dallastown senior Eve Peters attended the show with her mom to commemorate the special day. She dressed up for the Red era.

“Red was my favorite album growing up and my first concert ever, so I thought it would be cute to circle back to that,” Peters says.

Now a Dallastown alum, Morgan Lese also attended the show Sunday with her sister, aunt, and current sophomore Landen Curran.

“I’m most excited to hear the surprise songs,” Lese shares.

The surprise song that night was, “Hey Stephen,” from Fearless. The song was played because of a request from fans. The second surprise song was, “The Best Day,” also from Fearless. This song was dedicated to Swift’s mom for Mother’s Day. 

The three concerts lead to a broken record for the most concert tickets sold by an artist in a single day. The high number of people registering to Ticketmaster for presale caused the website to crash. 

Despite some bumps in the road, all three nights of the concert concluded well.

“Taylor Swift is just such a good performer and it was fantastic all the way to the final song,” Forella says.