The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

International Cat

An inside look on adopting a pet from another country
Julia Havice
Kuma seated comfortably and camly while posing for a picture.

When the Ukrainian-Russian war began news stations highlighted the displacement of residents of Ukraine. But what about the animals that resided there?

Many animals from war torn countries have found new homes around the globe. 

One of them found a home in Dallastown. 

Senior Julia Havice decided to adopt an animal from Ukraine, a cat named Kuma. born January 1, 2023 is a Devon Rex. 

At just five months old Kuma was shipped over to the U.S for adoption. 

Even though he had only been five months old when he left his home country, she and her family joke that when he doesn’t listen it’s because he doesn’t speak English.

Havice and her family got him from a broker, Sasha Merlin in New York .

“She basically brings cats over from European breeders. The cats are just more rare and exotic sort of breeds that aren’t too common in America” Havice said. 

Unlike humans who have to stand in long lines in customs, Kuma needed vaccinations and a short quarantine period upon his arrival to the U.S. Although he was let out a little earlier to adjust to his new home.

Although she has a new cat, Havice is not new to the pet life. Her family has three dogs and two other cats in addition to Kuma. 

“The dogs are all really good with the cats and enjoy their company. Figgy likes to be left alone, but Yoshi loves Kuma a lot. They adjusted to each other really quickly and are both super rambunctious. They love to cuddle together” she said.

For Havice, choosing to get a pet from Ukraine was simply a matter of distance, choosing to pick her pet up from New York rather than Florida. 

For others, choosing a pet from a place like the Ukraine is a way to save lives. 

Organizations such as Breaking the Chains International , Paws of War and Peta.

These organizations goals are to bring awareness to neglect and abuse of animals, fund rescues, and provide a safe and new home for each animal.

Sometimes the soldiers that rescue the animals even adopt them.

There are several ways to not just adopt pets but children and other animals from Ukraine. Havice gave a bit of advice on adopting a pet from Ukraine. 

“I’d recommend doing research. There are so many scams out there so go through someone reputable. The cats are… expensive… but it’s definitely worth it”. 

The logo for Peta shown on the website and articles. (PETA)