The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Lights, Curtains, Action!

DPAC gears up for another brilliant fall play, but this time with a twist on a famous classic.
Adrian Brant
The DPAC crew hard at work rehearsing the fall play.

The members of the Dallastown Performing Arts Club (DPAC) banded together to vote on their selected fall play. Only one made it through… 

This year’s fall play will be titled Merry Men, which will be directed by Dallastown’s English teacher and DPAC advisor Mrs. Bethany Yuninger. 

Because of the club’s organization, many of their plays are chosen by students. “Lillie Markle took a workshop with Kemuel DeMoville (the play creator) last year and thought it was hilarious,” Yuninger said. 

It’s a folktale that’s sort of in the vein of a fractured fairytale.

— Yuninger

After the workshop, Markle brought the idea of doing Merry Men to DPAC and the rest was history.

Merry Men consists of Maid Marian refusing to marry Sheriff Nottingham. Marian and her friends team up and become the bandits themselves to keep Nottingham from going through with the wedding, with Marian assuming the role of the notorious Robin Hood. 

The play has elements of slapstick humor, sword fights, and many pratfalls, so the cast will get the room to experiment with physical theater.

Yuninger has described the play as a “folktale that’s sort of in the vein of a fractured fairytale.”

Auditions for the main cast have been completed, comprising a team of 20 cast members and 15 crew members. The students are dedicated to their craft, as their rehearsals are held three times a week for several hours after school.

The play will be unveiled in the Dallastown Area High School’s auditorium for only three nights; with showings being on Nov.17 at 7 p.m., Nov.18 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., and Nov.19 at 2 p.m.

Junior Ollie Williams, the DPAC club secretary and stage right manager, looks forward to opening night as it is “always nerve-wracking but is fun by the end of it.” 

To reserve seats for this play, you can purchase tickets online at https://dahsdpac.booktix.net/

Ticket prices range from $10 for adults, $7 for senior citizens (65+) and students with their ID, and $5 for children who are 12 and under. 

Additionally, DPAC is very excited to announce that they will be performing teasers of their play for the elementary schools.