The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Unwrapping Secondhand Treasures

Searching for the perfect gift during the holiday season can be very overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Spice up your holidays with thrifted presents such as jewelry, home decor, shoes, books and so much more!
    CommunityAid, LifePath Thrift and Salvation Army are a couple thrift stores locally, that have a variety of products, perfect for this season!
    Laura Pottman

Although the activity of thrift shopping is very popular among younger generations, it originally started back in the 1930s during the Great Depression. Decades later, it evolved into a mainstream hobby. 

When most people think of the term “thrifting,” they think of a younger generation. In actuality, thrifting originated in the 19th century and was used to help raise money for religious organizations and charities. In early 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic, it gained more attraction within teens as they were bored and stuck at home. 

The popularity of thrift shopping is continuously rising as more people realize how beneficial it is. Thrifting your holiday gifts instead of purchasing them from big corporations is significantly better for the environment and helps eliminate unnecessary waste. With access to online shopping, many people simply hit the buttons add to cart and purchase, instead of searching a little longer.

What is the appeal of secondhand shopping?

Not only is the experience of hanging out with friends enjoyable, but also the sense of self it brings along. Most items for sale at thrift stores are unique or could be discontinued products. A couple more unique thrift items to consider gifting include vintage records, timeless clocks and suitcases.

One of the main reasons so many young people prefer to thrift is because they get to be creative and build individuality. Since the majority of the clothing is donated, there’s a good chance nobody else will have your find in their cart!

While the idea of thrifting holiday gifts is immensely popular among young people, older generations have a different take. Most people born in “generation X” have a difficult time coming to terms with receiving secondhand gifts. 

For these individuals, the thought of wearing used clothing or used nicknacks sitting on their shelves causes discomfort. Gifting presents that are second hand also make the older generations uncertain, as they feel the items are “dirty.”    

Have you ever thought about purchasing used products and giving them as presents? Give thought to secondhand gifts and unwrap this holiday season with a treasure hunt of finding those hidden gems!