“What You Do Matters”

Holocaust studies teacher Molly Dallmeyer sheds light on the Israeli-Hamas war and its effects.
Standing in front of her class, with all attentive eyes on her. Molly Dallmeyer teaches a room replete with dedicated students about the horrors of the Holocaust.
Bryce Keller

The Israel-Hamas war has left its mark on many facets around the world, including Dallastown’s very own Holocaust Studies course. Through the constant bombardment of missile strikes, countries divided everywhere you look and the blood-curdling screams echoing through various cities, the two haunting events almost mirror each other. 

The course has been running since 2000 and is taught by Molly Dallmeyer, who has been teaching for 28 years.

I started teaching the course at that time thinking that it would be maybe two to three sections, and now, it is my entire course load,” beamed Dallmeyer.

DAHS students, that took the course in 2022-2023, gathered in the auditorium to watch “Schindler’s List.” Afterward, they dutifully listened to Maritza Shelley’s heart-wrenching story about her experience in the Holocaust.

In the course, Dallmeyer sheds light on things that happened during the Holocaust that many students may have been oblivious to, such as the Nazi party’s cruel treatment of those that they deemed as lesser than.

Additionally, the course presents opportunities to watch Steven Spielberg’s magnum opus “Schindler’s List” and to meet a brave holocaust survivor who speaks about their harrowing experience.

Throughout history, this cruel treatment has been more prevalent over the years; even more now with the Israel-Hamas war.

The two sides have been frequently depicted in media as of late, which began when Hamas launched an assault on Israel on Oct.7, 2023; There has not been an end in sight since.

While the war may seem miles and miles away from America, it has left complications for many.

Holocaust Studies is not exempt from these ramifications, and Dallmeyer was up for the challenge of talking about the war.

You never know what your “ripple effect” or impact will be. It may be something that you see or witness, but most times, your impact will never be known by you. It’s outside of you and something that you control – are you kind? Compassionate? Snarky?

— Molly Dallmeyer

While speaking about the war’s impact on college campuses and the war as a whole, Dallmeyer tasked her students with being neutral and open-minded about the war.

“We had to also learn about certain current events such as the Israel-Hamas war as a way to recognize that the acts of hate happen all the time and can even evolve into genocide,” stated Junior Maddie Bernadzikowski. 

Dallmeyer’s brave decision to discuss the war has made students more aware and compassionate as a result.

“Every event, every person has an impact on world events.  Never doubt the impact your actions have on others,” remarked Dallmeyer. “Because, in the end, your actions speak louder than your words.”