A Future in Fire Rescue

Junior Landen Klingenmaier speaks about his experience being a volunteer.
Klingenmaier proudly stands in front of a fire engine and presents his firefighting helmet. This has been a lifelong dream which has become reality for Klingenmaier.
Michael Naylor

Raindrops hit the shattered glass of the flipped sedan, oil leaks out and blankets the ground, and the smoke from the engines of the collided vehicles blooms up towards the gloomy night sky. The bright flashing and wail of sirens emits from the truck filled with a group of heroes, including a young volunteer.

York Township Fire and Emergency Rescue was founded in 1892. Many young people have been volunteering to help their community and pursue a career in fire rescue.

Landen Klingenmaier, a junior at Dallastown Area High School, is one of them. He is one of about 60 volunteers for York Township Southern Area Fire and Rescue.

Klingenmaier has been involved as a volunteer for three years, and is a second captain of the junior firefighter program at The York Township Fire Department.

“I got involved in it because I liked seeing the rigs go by as a kid and wanted to do it myself,”

— Landen Klingenmaier

Most of Klingenmaier’s free time is spent in the firehouse, gym, or playing Xbox.

Volunteering is one of Klingenmaier’s favorite things to do. His favorite part is “the sense of brotherhood you get with members and the sense of family it creates, then using that to provide the community with a great service.”

Klingenmaier also expressed that it helps you get a greater understanding of the community. He also loves the satisfaction he gets when helping those who are in need.

There are both positive and negative aspects of volunteering. However, Klingenmaier is very aware that there are good and bad things about volunteering. 

One of the best parts Klingenmaier talked about was he trains hard for a scenario then it happens and he can provide the best possible care for that person, But he also spoke about the negative side.

“It is a large commitment that takes up a lot of time and you can see some gruesome stuff,” Klingenmaier expressed.

Klingenmaier thinks that the good outweighs the bad though. He thinks that anyone who can should volunteer as it helps them and the community.

When asked if this was something he wanted to pursue in the future Klingenmaier said “I can see myself working in the public safety field in the future.”

Junior Jordan Daisy, a friend of Klingenmaier, shares similar aspirations. They met each other in high school.

“He almost took my eye out in metals class and we’ve been friends ever since,” Daisy exclaimed. 

Junior and probationary volunteer members rally together and line up for a photo. The group had just finished refining their various exceptional skills regarding ground ladders. (Kevin Rehman)

Daisy has family members in fire rescue. He also wants to work in the public safety field like Klingenmaier either as a firefighter or park ranger.

They both agree that volunteering is important in being able to make connections in your future field. Volunteering can also help you not be as overwhelmed if you do pursue the career because you have experience from volunteering.

Volunteering is a great way to get a head start on your future career. Especially if your aspired career is in the public safety field. 

Some still might be asking themselves if they should volunteer. 

“If you have physical and mental capabilities, as well as the time. Yes, it is a great opportunity, and you get to do and see some really cool stuff,” Klingenmaier commented.