Hydration Hype: Stanley Cup Craze Sweeps Dallastown Halls

Students debate whether the hefty price tag matches the promised quality of “trendy” water bottles.
Sophomore Larissa Swisher poses with her purple Stanley Cup. Larissa first bought her Stanley for the aesthetic, but feels that any other cheaper cup would also do just fine.
Lily Medich

Looking around the classes of Dallastown High, it is apparent that almost every student carries a water bottle.  Some are just vessels for staying hydrated, however others have become somewhat of a modern status symbol. But when did the brand of your water bottle become so important?

According to a recent survey, almost 30% of Dallastown students currently own a “Stanley” branded water bottle. These cups’ popularity have skyrocketed over the last few months among the people who identify with the “preppy” or “clean girl” aesthetics, taking most TikTok and Instagram feeds by storm. 

Looking back to 2019, the water bottle brand “Hydro Flask” made its debut among the infamous “vsco girls”. The tumblers would often be adorned with stickers featuring popular memes or beachy doodles. Over 35% of Dallastown students owned a Hydro Flask during their peak in popularity. 

Over the years, a number of different brands of water bottles have become popular, such as Starbucks tumblers or the YETI brand. With over a quarter of our students participating in viral water bottle trends, one might wonder where these cups come from. There are usually a few factors that lead to a thermos’s popularity

English teacher Mrs. Epps recalls that back in the 2000s, hardly anyone carried a water bottle at all.

“When I was in middle school and high school, water bottles of any kind were not permitted. If we wanted something to drink, we had to wait until lunch or hit up the water fountain.”

As access to the internet and social media rose, trends began moving faster and becoming targeted towards things other than clothes, eventually spreading to water bottles. Junior Coco Qu commented on this type of fast fashion.

“As a trend, water bottles are made into more of an accessory rather than a bottle to hold water.”

The marketing and sale of water bottles is also a factor in their popularity. In the case of the Stanley Cup, the company focused on partnering with social media influencers and other brands like Starbucks to post about their cups and talk about “recipes” to enhance water on their feeds. 

TikTok user @danimarielettering caught over 94 million views of her unscathed Stanley Cup still containing ice after being taken from the burnt wreckage of her car that had caught on fire. The durability of the cup is a major selling point for some as the company brags of over 110 years of thermos production.

Sophomore Sara Deimler says the quality of the tumblers make the purchase worth the cost to her.

“I like the quality of the water bottle, like how Stanley and Hydro flask keeps your drink colder longer, or a hot beverage hotter longer than a plastic water bottle would.”

One question still remains on many Dallastown students’ minds as they observe the “Stanley cup craze”. Is spending money on one of these tumblers actually worth it?

Sophomore Abby Lintz, a student who originally bought a Stanley cup after hearing praises on the internet, described her experience with the quality of the cups for the price.

“My Stanley spills just about everyday, and it scratches super easily. It makes it seem like a waste of money because I shouldn’t spend nearly $50 for the water bottle just to be scratched a few days later.”

“If these things make you feel happy, I see no reason why it wouldn’t be worth it. There is so little joy in the world, and if a $200 water bottle makes you feel better, so be it.”

— Ruby Lawton

Many students speculate that spending around $45 on a cup is a waste of money. 

“Most trendy water bottles are overpriced for no reason because they all do the same thing. As long as I can have a water bottle to drink out of, I don’t care what brand it is,” commented student Christina Cassell-Jackson

Other students think that the trends are too fast moving to warrant the purchase of an expensive water bottle.

“There is always a new water bottle coming into trend. It is best to just get one that works for you despite the trend and stick with it.” says sophomore, Tate Ruthven.

While these students make good points, others believe that the quality and brand name make the cup worth the money. One student pointed out that, “they are trendy for a reason. That reason could be the quality or durability, and if they are cute then that is a plus.”

Junior Rachel Fischman pointed out the social aspect that comes along with following these trends.

“Everyone wants to be like the other girls or guys walking around with water bottles.”

Overall, however, both sides of the argument seem to agree on one thing: if buying an expensive water bottle makes you happy, why not go for it!

Junior Victoria Ruane who has owned both a Hydro Flask and a Stanley, agrees.

“You can buy one for much cheaper that works just as good, but if you want to do it, then do it! They are cute and trendy, so if you have the money and want to do it; no harm done.”

Although sophomore Ruby Lawton has never owned a trendy cup, she also agrees.

Apparently, we can all raise a cup to investing in the things that make us happy.