The Beacon

• March 133/21- World Language Symposium

• March 133/23- PMEA Regional State Chorus Festival

• March 134/3- PMEA All-State Music Festival

Transcending Through Time

Many classic movies are still worth watching today.

Princess Ann (Audrey Hepburn) enjoying her day away from her famous life with Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck)

Alexa Knaub, Reporter

A Philadelphia Story, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Roman Holiday, and even more. Classic movies are everlasting and timeless. These movies in particular are my favorites.

A Philadelphia Story  features Katharine Hepburn who plays the role of Tracy, a socialite who has recently left her husband C.K. Dexter played by Cary Grant. The movie follows Tracy as she marries a rich man named George. The movie focuses on new love, drama, and much more.

I truly love Breakfast at Tiffany’s. The film focuses on Holly (Audrey Hepburn), an expensive escort in New York, who is looking to fall in love and marry an old rich man.

She meets a young man named Paul (George Peppard) who recently moved into her apartment building. They start to have feelings for each other and Holly’s plan starts to change.

And lastly, Roman Holiday. This film is about a european princess named Ann (Audrey Hepburn) who has been given a sedative by a doctor for an anxiety attack.

She falls asleep on a park bench when a young journalist, Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck), finds her. He brings her back to his apartment not knowing who she truly is.

He when he discovers who she truly is, he promises his editor an exclusive interview with her, until romance gets in the way.

Many classic movies are filled with romance, laughter, and melodramatic endings. This is what makes them worth watching.

These movies are not filled with common love stories that one of them dies right at the end. These movies are unpredictable, charming and intriguing.

Personally, I enjoy the way that the actors capture the persona of their character. They show their audience more emotion from the character.

A disadvantage would definitely be the fact that most of these movies are in black and white. I think color adds more of a lifelike aspect to the film. It gives the viewer a picture of what it would be like to be in the movie, so it is unfortunate the technology was not there at that point in time.

Another disadvantage is that the films can be hard to get a hold of. Many teens enjoy Netflix because of the convenience of getting on the app and clicking a movie and you’re set to watch it. Many of these films are on VHS tapes, so it makes it a little harder to watch them.

A great way to get these movies is by looking online. Some websites such as Amazon and Walmart offer some classics on DVD.

I really like how teenagers are appreciating things that were created before the year 2000. More and more teens enjoy vinyl records, listening to albums from the ’70s such as Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, and dressing in the classic ’90s style.

I want to see more people enjoying these movies as well. These films are an important part of the culture of the time they were made. Watching a movie from a specific time period, whether it’s the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s, helps teens to appreciate more than the music and style, so they should give the movies a chance as well.