Dallastown to Offer Cap and Gown Choice to Seniors

The Class of 2020 will be the first to choose which color they want to wear, rather than have it assigned by gender.

Taylor Rubino

At the conclusion of Graduation, Dallastown’s senior class of 2018-2019 toss their caps in the air. This year, seniors will choose the color of the cap they toss.

Picture this… It’s graduation day at Dallastown High School. Hundreds of students are lined in rows, bringing out a colorful display of school spirit, with male graduates wearing blue caps and gowns, and female graduates wearing white caps and gowns. 

In the past, caps and gowns were given to each student based on their gender, but, with the class of 2020, things will be a little different. 

Cap and gown color will now be based on students’ preferences rather than their gender.

Dallastown isn’t the only school to make this change.

Many high schools across the country, including New Rochelle High  in New York, Morse High School in Maine, Glastonbury High School in Connecticut, and Leonard Hammond High School in Maryland, have decided to allow their students to choose what color caps and gowns they wish to wear on their special day. 

We came up with a compromise that is inclusive to all students, while still keeping the tradition of blue and white gowns.

— Sarah Mtimet

When the idea was first proposed at Dallastown High School, some students were hesitant to break the tradition, but a majority of the student body agreed that it was time to allow students who do not identify with their biological sex to choose their cap and gown color without putting them in an uncomfortable position. 

“I identify as a trans-male, and guys wear blue, which actually looks better on me,” Senior Theo Clegg said. 

According to Senior class officer, Sarah Mtimet, “Most schools have gotten rid of this practice, and it was definitely time for Dallastown to make a change as well.” 

Dallastown’s administration, who believed that it was time to update the overall graduation day experience, was open-minded to student’s having a choice. In fact, they contacted the senior class officers to see how they felt about evolving graduation, before the students had thought about it. 

“Ultimately, it is the students’ graduation, so we went with their decision to allow students to choose whether they want a blue or white gown,” senior class adviser Mrs. Turnbull said.  

Having the support of administration made it much easier for the traditional gender-based selection to be transformed into a more open and supportive cap and gown selection that includes everyone. 

Mtimet said, “They were beyond open to the idea of choosing color, which is not common. It was great!”