New JROTC Instructor Joins the Dallastown Family

Major White hopes to positively impact student lives in his new role.

Photo Submitted

Major White(Left), Dallastown’s new JROTC instructor poses with students Chelsee Johnson and Juan Morales.

Major White joined the Dallastown family as a JROTC instructor on Dec. 3, and while he’s only been here a month, he feels very welcomed. 

Born and raised in Philadelphia, White attended Bloomsburg University a with a major in art and a minor in Psychology. 

When he moved to York in 2016, he became interested in the JROTC program in the process of preparing for retirement.

“Honestly I wanted to have an opportunity to impact young people’s lives, and I felt Dallastown was a wonderful medium to be able to do that.”

He’s a retired Marine Officer who served for 21 years.

“My job in the Marines was Ground Supply but I have a diverse career experience in Operations, Logistics, Acquisitions, Training as well as several stints in Commanding positions.”

White’s strengths as an instructor include a passion for his students, the value he places on young adult lives, and a personality with energy and comedy. He likes to be funny yet serious. 

Because he cares so much about his students, it makes him sensitive and to their burdens and the personal and school issues they carry home everyday.

White who wholly invests himself in his work, so he continues to work on maintaining a proper work-life balance for the good of his family.

Aiming to motivate by example, White wants to transfer the passion that he has about the subject into every lesson. More than anything, he wants students to see that he cares about them.

“If we don’t stop and talk about people’s lives, especially teenagers, they will eventually shut down and not care.”

So far, student reviews have been great and JROTC students seem to enjoy his class.

Chelsee Johnson, a sophomore, has been in the program for a year and one trimester plus some summer camps. White is energetic and teaches using things that they enjoy. “He’s a really good leader and is going to be really good for the program.”

Senior, Juan Morales, has been in the program for four years. White goes to drill practice and shows them new tricks that he’s learned in the past. White has drill experience from his experience in the Army and Marines.

“What brought me to JROTC is the opportunity to impact young lives for the betterment of our global society,” White said.