Teaching In A Pandemic Part 3: Parenting High School and College Kids

Dallastown faculty share their experience of being a parent whose child is going off to college this upcoming fall and/or is already a college student.

Mrs. Dallmeyer and her son, Kurt Dallmeyer, smiling under their masks for the picture being taken at DAHS.

Photo Submitted

Last month’s article focused on Dallastown teachers’ challenges raising children in grades K-6 while a worldwide pandemic was happening.

We all know it’s a difficult job, now what about this?

In our final installment, Dallastown teachers share how they do it with their children who are current Dallastown seniors or current college students.

Prime Time of Lockdown

Dallastown students and faculty got sent home in March 2020 because of to the pandemic. 

It was extremely difficult for many parents to find a set routine within where their children should do their schoolwork. 

Mrs. Turnbull, a English teacher, has two sons, 19-year-old Cael and 15-year-old Graham. 

“I found it more difficult to find a quiet place as my husband was also working from home in our office. I often had to switch rooms, which made it difficult for me to have a permanent set up.”

Mr. Koons, a Social Studies teacher, is in the same boat. He has three sons, 14-year-old Hayden and 18-year-old Cameron, and one son, 20-year-old Holden who are already in college and heading to college this fall. 

Mr. Koons (right) with his family missing Cameron, at a JMU tennis match. Holden, his oldest is in the middle, is wearing a JMU shirt. (Photo Submitted)

“Cameron spent most of his time doing his work downstairs, while I have a small office so we both had individual spaces. My wife is also a teacher so we had to make sure we were in different rooms while in a zoom session.”

College Decisions?

Mrs. Gable, a Math teacher at Dallastown, also shared how it would be an empty nest for them two in the fall. With the pandemic settling in into other determinations, the Gable family seems to be settled in and hoping for the best for all students.

From left to right, Mrs. Gable, Brooks Gable, and Mr. Gable taking a picture on the first day of school. (Photo Submitted )

Senior Brooks Gable is heading off to the Air Force Academy in the fall.

Gable shares her feelings about the pandemic and how it would be affected in Colorado. 

“I’m a mess in general getting ready to drop him off in Colorado but it doesn’t bother me at all that he will have to wear a mask and social distance.”

Gable also shared how the Air Force Academy has been training their cadets well with wearing masks and keeping the six feet distance between them all.

Mrs. Dallmeyer, a history teacher, shared her experience about how she wishes her children, Caroline and Kurt, were able to have their milestones.

“It was nice to come together for dinner and all be together, but I felt like that they were missing their freshman year in HS and their Spring season of the Junior year.  Your junior year is so important, so we weren’t sure what that would do to the college application process.”

Dallmeyer’s oldest daughter, Caroline attends American University and has experienced firsthand wearing masks everywhere. 

The big concern was whether anyone would get quarantined/sick of COVID-19.

“I knew she had a good head on her shoulders, but other people I cannot control, so with parenting comes the idea that you have to let your children make their own decisions after a certain age.  We’ve raised her, we know that she knows how serious COVID is, and trusted her to make the best decisions about what to do and what not to do,” Dallmeyer said.

Spending Time Together in Lockdown

All teachers shared how wonderful their time was spent together while lockdown.

Dallmeyer shared, “I loved having everyone home where I felt we could protect them and take care of them.  We did give each other space, and since I like the three people I live with (my husband, Carl, Caroline, and Kurt) it was not terrible.”

Turnbull’s sons, Cael and Graham, often spent time together and it was a excited feeling for her.

“It was a double-edged sword. We were able to spend a lot of time together as a family since my older son was home from college, which we would not have done without COVID, and for that, I am grateful.”

The Gable family spent a lot of time outdoors and doing many activities, keeping themselves busy.

“I enjoyed every moment that I got to spend with my family.  We went for bike rides,  watched tv , played games and cooked together.  Lockdown was very weird but it forced us to slow down dramatically which I liked.”

Sending Their Children Off/Back To College

Now that things have been settling in, Dallastown faculty as parents are so excited for their children to start a new chapter in their lives.

“I am excited for my son [Brooks] to go to college.  I know that the Academy is doing an excellent job keeping the cadets safe. As much as I am going to be super sad to see Brooks go, I’m glad he is going somewhere that I feel confident he will be safe,” Gable said.

Koons shared that his son, Cameron Koons, a senior who is attending Belmont University, is very excited for him.

Hayden, Mr. Koons, and Cameron, from left to right, is cheesing for the camera. Holden is missing from this picture. (Photo Submitted)

“We will be sad to send Cameron off to school, but we know he is ready to excel and forge his own path in life. All parents are sad to see there children leave the home and go to college, but we are excited to see what the future brings for them.”

Dallmeyer shares that she is so excited however, she will always worry about her children.

“You always worry as a parent, so if it wasn’t the pandemic, it would be something else that would keep me awake at night.  I’ll worry about my kids until I’m no longer around; I’m pretty confident that I’ll never stop being their mom and worrying about them whether they are 18 and 20 or 98 and 100!”