Trash to Treasure

The Art of Thrifting

The sign above the changing rooms in Salvation Army reads, “Changing Clothes Changes Lives” as a reminder that the money received from sales benefits those in need.

It seems like the Wildcats have had a makeover this summer.

Mom jeans, graphic tees, and other unique pieces have shown up everywhere.

Some students might be asking where to buy these various trends. The answer: thrift stores.

Whether it be Goodwill, Salvation Army, or Community Aid, students are finding interesting and, more importantly, inexpensive clothes to wear that aren’t so new.

Thrift stores are more commonly known as a quick and reasonably priced option for spirit days and costumes. But recently, more and more people are reinventing their wardrobes with clothing  primarily from thrift stores.

Seniors Emma Lerch, Maya Anstine, and Brooke Schwartz are few of the many students showing the new fashion at Dallastown. They can be seen wearing interesting pieces every day.

When asked why they started thrifting, similar answers were given.

“I started thrifting because I couldn’t find the pieces I was looking for in retail stores.” Schwartz said.

Lerch and Anstine were both introduced by family members and their love for thrifting blossomed from there.

The next question is where to shop. Most people have heard of Salvation Army, more commonly known as Salvo, and Goodwill. There are a few unknown stores that may be worth your while.

“Community Aid is a really good place to go. They have a larger selection and better deals than Goodwill or Salvo.” Lerch said.

On the other end, the only Community Aid thrift stores are either in Lancaster or Hanover. Both locations are a bit of a drive. But for serious thrifters, like Anstine, Schwartz, and Lerch, it’s worth it.

However, the old Bon-Ton at the Queensgate shopping center will be occupied by a Community Aid thrift store. It will be opening in the spring.

There will soon be three stores for local  thrifters to take advantage of.

If the prices aren’t low enough yet, Salvo has Wednesday family days which means almost the entire store is 50% off.

A concern about thrifting is that people are taking items from those who need it. However, most people do not know that the proceeds from sales goes back into charity.

Most thrift stores are nonprofit organizations that are set up to help others in more ways than one.

With these incredibly low prices, more students are choosing thrift stores to  enhance or entirely rebuild their wardrobes. Whether it be only one statement piece or a whole new outfit, thrift shopping is the new craze at Dallastown.