Behind the Scenes

Ashley Kenney, Reporter

The middle school jazz band  opened the concert with “Billy Boy” and concluded their portion of the night with “Frankenstein” led by middle school band director Mrs. Ruth.  

The auditorium was filled with excited parents and members of the community. The night was a success!

“I was expecting a fairly light crowd since it was new. Hopefully that first performance was a catalyst though,” high school band director Mr. Buer said. 

Each group featured a few talented students with improvisation or previously written solos. 

The Dallastown jazz lab performed following the middle school with “Channel Three” featuring a flugelhorn, “You Stepped Out of A Dream” featuring a tenor sax, and “Critical Mass” featuring a jazz flute solo.

Immediately after the jazz lab performed, the jazz ensemble performed with “Cover Drive” featuring the piano, guitar, and drums, “At Long Last Love” featuring a tenor sax, “The Best is Yet to Come” featuring vocalist Paige Langmead, and lastly “Rippin’ and Runnin’” featuring a tenor and alto sax duet. 

To conclude the concert all three groups joined each other on stage to play “Smoke on the Water”. The stage was filled with about 70 students between the three groups. 

Mrs. Ruth and Buer hope to expand the night to the intermediate school and feature more Dallastown students for next year’s show. 

Everyone is very excited to see where Dallastown takes its new night of jazz.