Political Policies

Government and Politics can be a taboo subject, but this required DHS class is essential to teaching students about history and current events.

The+government+has+always+been+a+front-line+subject+as+well+as+taboo.+So+should+there+be+allowed+a+class+that+talks+and+breaks+down+just+that%3F+

flickr.com

The government has always been a front-line subject as well as taboo. So should there be allowed a class that talks and breaks down just that?

Although politics have always been a part of daily life, they are forever changing for better or worse. Politics is also the one subject that is always danced around, often being seen as taboo. 

Politics isn’t just presidents or who you vote for , but its is laws and court cases as well. 

Government and Politics is a graduation requirement at DHS, and in my opinion, it needs to stay that way. The class has a lot to offer.

This course, for students in grades 11 and 12 is taught by several teachers including Mr. Koons, Miss. Smith, and Mr. Murphy. Koons teaches the AP sections. 

It covers a variety of topics — everything from a deep dive into the three branches of government to court cases and current events. 

Government and Politics teaches students how to navigate politics and how to be politically conscious. These are skills students will need for the rest of their lives. 

One of the topics covered is Women’s Suffrage and related cases such as Roe vs. Wade. This case is extremely important for women’s rights along with basic human rights.

Roe vs. Wade was a case in the 70s about abortion and the right to privacy. This particular case is about a lawsuit against Henry Wade. 

The government is a severely misunderstood living thing in many ways. It is contorted in a lot of ways by the news, and I feel we do a nice job in our classes of showing students both sides of a number of valuable issues, and allowing them to form their own opinions.

— Mr. Murphy

At the time it was illegal in Texas to have an abortion except by a doctor’s orders to save a woman’s life. 

Recently this law is in the stages/talk of being overturned. This leaves abortion laws up to the state’s choices and could ultimately lead to a full ban on any and all types of abortions. 

This potential overturn is an infraction on amendments and could open the door to some very destructive ideas that could now have the chance to be laws.  

For those who have no prior knowledge of this case, hearing  recent news and seeing the big blow-up could be confusing. They may have no idea how much these changes would affect everyone. 

Government and Politics makes sure that DHS students have that prior knowledge. 

After the course, students know how the process works to overturn a case like this. Students also learn how not to be politically ignorant of things such as this. 

For these reasons, I believe that government and politics must continue to be a required class.  It’s too important for it not to be. 

There have been studies conducted to connect childhood exposure to politics.

In a recent study by the University of Kansas, the University of Texas at Austin, Whitman College, the University of Texas at Tyler, and the University of Kentucky they explored this deeper and found some very interesting things.

“Our research argues for the establishment of a developmental science of politics that describes and predicts the formation and change of individuals’ political knowledge, attitudes, and behavior beginning in childhood and continuing across the life course,” Dr. Meagan Patterson, Associate Professor at the University of Kansas’ School of Education says.

Government and Politics is a class that not only benefits kids now but helps them in the future pushing them forward and helping them use their rights effectively as adults.