Service Never Stops

Now a student at George Washington University, class of 2020 graduate Dylan Rexroth has used his passion for volunteerism to shape his college experience and future goals.

George+Washington+University+senior+and+Dallastown+graduate+Dylan+Rexroth+stands+outside+of+the+GW+Honey+W.+Nashman+Center+for+Civic+Engagement+and+Public+Service%2C+the+office+where+he+works.+

Courtesy of Dylan Rexroth

George Washington University senior and Dallastown graduate Dylan Rexroth stands outside of the GW Honey W. Nashman Center for Civic Engagement and Public Service, the office where he works.

For most students, high school is the time to experiment for the future by taking various classes, joining clubs, and playing sports. Many leave their four years not knowing what their next steps will be.

Dylan Rexroth was not in that majority.

In his senior edition of The Beacon, Rexroth was selected as “Most Likely to Change The World” by his peers. Even after departing the halls of Dallastown, Rexroth reinforces these perceptions by serving his community and working towards a brighter future.

When he graduated from Dallastown in 2020, Dylan Rexroth’s class voted him both Most Likely to Change the World and Most Likely to Become President in the annual Senior Issue of The Beacon. (Beacon Archives )

Rexroth is currently a dual-degree senior at George Washington University. After discovering his niche in community service, Rexroth is pursuing an undergraduate path focusing on Human Services and Political Science and a Master’s degree in Public Administration concentrating in Social Policy and Public Finance.

“My coursework is roughly 50% undergraduate classes and 50% graduate work,” Rexroth explained. “Several of my classes have a practicum component, such as directly working with children for a child development course or writing a formal report on the efficacy of a nonprofit’s activities for a program evaluation class.”

Outside of rigorous coursework, Rexroth has volunteered at local and regional nonprofits to get hands-on, personable experiences with the people in his community.

“There is more to volunteering than direct work, like handing out food and tutoring. One project I have done is pro bono grant writing for a Maryland nonprofit focusing on helping historically underserved students get a four-year education,” Rexroth elaborated.

To read more about Rexroth’s work with specific nonprofits, click the link below:

https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-serves-dual-degree-student-tackles-homelessness-and-poverty

Following his journey at GW, Rexroth wants to continue serving those around him and hopes to do so from a governmental standpoint.

“Immediately after college, I hope to work in the federal or PA state government as a policy analyst or program administrator for a social welfare department or agency, ideally the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD),” Rexroth mentioned. 

Rexroth credits his support system and humble beginnings for getting as far as he has. His gratitude for the people in his corner is evident in his love of volunteerism, where he stays involved to offer similar support and opportunity on a broader scale.

“Professionally, service has only increased my drive to enter a career of helping others; once you build a relationship with those you help, it is hard not to become inspired to do as much as you can,” Rexroth stated.

For students looking to expand their knowledge of the community, involve themselves in something new, or give back to others, Rexroth recommends high school as the perfect time to volunteer regularly.

Professionally, service has only increased my drive to enter a career of helping others; once you build a relationship with those you help, it is hard not to become inspired to do as much as you can.

— Dylan Rexroth

“High school is a great time for people to begin service; there are so many opportunities for service in your communities if you just look. Once you find your niche and a place you like volunteering at and believe in, become as consistent of a volunteer as you can. Many people believe that volunteering is a one-and-done thing. It’s not,” Rexroth affirmed.

Rexroth also suggests that students interested in serving can get involved by helping the York County Community Foundation rate grant proposals to give to nonprofits in the York community. Students can help the foundation staff save time and provide them with free funds by going to https://yccf.org/grant-reader-application/.

Rexroth’s desire to combat homelessness and poverty, ability to form authentic relationships with those around him, and dedication to academic endeavors illustrate that with passionate volunteerism and knowledge of our communities, there will be no weakest link. 

“There is always more to learn in this world, and volunteering, if done with an open mind and open heart, is a great way to meet people who will teach you about yourself and your community,” Rexroth shared.