“Spring Shorts” Celebrates Student Filmmakers

After being virtual for two years, DHS Video Production Club welcomes back their annual in-person film festival that includes students from across York County.

Wildcat TV

Spring Shorts is a fundraiser for the TV production club at the high school. They use the money to help pay for their annual STN convention where schools from all over the country get together to go to workshops and learn more about film and broadcast journalism.

In 2008 what was a class project became an annual event. 

Now, 14 years later, the annual Spring Shorts Film Festival sponsored by the Video Production Club at Dallastown High School has become a Dallastown tradition. This year’s event will take place on Thursday, May 19 at 6:30 pm.

This event is a way to celebrate the work of the best student producers in the South Central PA region. 

Currently enrolled students at the middle or high school level may submit short films no longer than five minutes in length and have them judged by industry professionals.

Alumni who have participated in the event while in high school are even invited to submit their work.

Then on the night of the event, filmmakers, friends, and family can come to the Dallastown High School Auditorium to watch the top films and celebrate the award winners. 

Club advisor and TV production teacher Mr. Kinedinst said they had over 40 films submitted from more than ten different schools. 

“The top 10-15 films will be played at the event, it’s fun for the whole family.” 

Tickets are $2 for students and $4 for adults, and typically it is an hour and a half long event. 

Dallastown senior Ally Andrews has participated in the Spring Shorts Film Festival numerous times and has had success in the past. 

“My freshman year I entered a film in and won best junior high film, sophomore year I didn’t enter anything in because that is when COVID hit which made things very difficult to film. Junior year I entered three films, with two nominated I won the best cinematography, best sound design, and audience choice award”

She has submitted five short films this year and she’s hoping to continue representing Dallastown as one of the best.

Andrews recommends anyone of all ages to attend, even if you’re not interested in film. 

“It’s a fun event for everyone, where we watch student films and hand out awards. It’s like other awards show without the glitz and glamor, silly drama, and ridiculously boring speeches.”

Andrews will be attending Drexel University in the fall majoring in film and television, she hopes to enter the Spring Shorts Film Festival in the future, entering the alumni category.

At $5 per entry, students submit their work on GoogleDrive or FilmFreeway by April 14. The judges will then rate the films in the following categories: Cinematography, Audio, Continuity/Story, Editing, and Creativity/Innovation.

The judges each year are Dallastown alumni who have careers in the TV or film industry.

This year the judges include Christy Bogart, a class of 2013 graduate and a news director for ABC; John Haight, a class of 2014 graduate and a producer/cinematographer at the E/W Scripps Company in Atlanta, Georgia and Ben Scofield, a class of 2016 graduate and a Brooklyn based freelance cinematographer.

Each student’s work may take a different amount of time but all will be judged exactly the same. 

“Some Narrative films may take months of planning, a few days of production, and then weeks of editing. Other entries may have been produced in one weekend.” said Klinedinst.

Just like many other events, COVID has left the Spring Shorts Film Festival with the challenge of reintroducing itself to the public.

Before the pandemic, the event would have close to 200 audience members. Some were there to see the films and others were there to see who goes home with an award, but everyone was appreciative of the hard work students put into their films. 

The Video Production Club is trying to get the Spring Shorts Film Festival back on its feet with roughly 30% entries from schools outside of the district. 

“Dallastown students will typically enter more films than outside schools and have had great success in the past, but some of the outside of school entries are very impressive this year” said Klinedinst. 

Video Production Club hopes to see you at their Spring Shorts Film Festival on April 19 at 6:30 pm in the High School auditorium. Buy a ticket and be ready to watch the hard work of some of the most talented filmmakers in South Central Pennsylvania. 

If you’re interested in watching the Spring Shorts Film Festival from last year check out the video below. 

Spring Shorts-Wildcat TV