The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

The Family Behind the Curtain

Dallastown’s Pit Orchestra not only brought together this year’s musical production of “Legally Blonde,” but it also united each of its members into lasting friendships.

From the moment the curtains open and eventually close in Dallastown’s high school auditorium, the audience hears the flowing melodies of the “Legally Blonde” soundtrack.

Many people don’t give too much thought about the music playing once the bold and blonde Elle Woods walks onto the stage. Most just assume that the music is a backtrack playing along with the cast members, but it’s actually the hard work of the DAHS Pit Orchestra.

Dallastown’s Pit Orchestra included 22 musicians this year and is typically conducted by Mr. Kaliszak.

Kaliszak also directs many other orchestra groups in and outside of the district, including Dallastown’s high school and middle school orchestra, but this year things were a bit different. 

The Pit Orchestra had a guest conductor from Central Dauphin school district and professional musician, Mr. Stelle. This may have posed new challenges and experiences working with a new conductor, but the entire Pit still had just as great of a time this year as ever.

Pit Orchestra provides not only the important soundtrack to the musicals each year, but it also creates a fun environment for all of its participants.

“It is a time where I can interact with students in a more relaxed setting and we form a close bond as an ensemble,” Kaliszak says, who also got to recruit students for the group this year as well as enjoy the performance as an audience member.

Since Pit includes only a few students from different musical ensembles in Dallastown, along with the extra hours of practicing together, the players get to connect with each other on another level. 

Ina Myers, a freshman oboe player at Dallastown in “Legally Blonde’s” Pit, says how her first year during involvement with Dallastown’s Pit Orchestra was such a joyful experience in this calmer environment. 

Ina has participated in the Pit Orchestra within a DreamWrights production of “The Company” previously, but notes that playing inside with Dallastown’s Pit Orchestra has definitely raised the bar.

“We have such a good time just being goofballs. My overall experience was really good and I had a lot of fun with everyone.” Myers says of the Pit Orchestra.

Both Myers and Kaliszak seem to agree that there is more room to enjoy themselves and have a good time within the Pit Orchestra compared to their many other music groups.

The effort that each member puts into their performances makes the task of playing outside of the band room simpler for everyone involved.

“The team we have at Dallastown is professional, and honestly it’s easier to be in a different room with our sound and video capabilities!” Kaliszak emphasizes.

The Pit Orchestra members may only be seen during intermission as well as before and after performances, but they still manage to show off their playful side as a group.

It’s not too out of the ordinary if a student is seen walking around the lobby in a somewhat crazy looking outfit. 

The Pit Orchestra, in addition to the cast and crew, love to participate in spirit days such as “Where is Waldo?” Dressing themselves up in white and red stripes, along with fun circle glasses adds to the jollification of each performance. 

“I really enjoy the spirit days we set. Last year, we had a “section’s choice” costume day and gave prizes to the most creative section (the string players dressed up in bed sheets as ghosts!)” says Kaliszak.

While the Pit Orchestra may not be center stage during their performances, the members and directors of this group have become a true musical family. Their dedication to the musicals, and especially “Legally Blonde,” will never go unnoticed.