The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Dancing (202)4 a Cure

Dallastown’s annual Mini-THON was held March 1-2, 2024 and students got “Wild for a Cure”!
Members+of+the+Mini-THON+committees+showing+the+final+total+during+closing+ceremony.+Students+finally+sat+down+after+12+hours+of+standing.+
Photo Summited
Members of the Mini-THON committees showing the final total during closing ceremony. Students finally sat down after 12 hours of standing.

It’s been a decade since the first ever Mini-THON, and with a record number of over 500  participants this year, the event continues to grow. 

Dallastown students stood and danced for 12 hours overnight to bring awareness to childhood cancer. This year the students were able to raise a total of $135,486.67 all for the kids!

Overall head, Erica Werner, opening up the start of Mini-THON. She began the countdown of students getting ready to stand for the night. (Sienna Seufert)

The actual event was planned and hosted by the Mini-THON committees. Specifically the overall head- Erica Werner.

Werner states her responsibilities began with “overseeing most of everything going on in all committees and to hold meetings between all committee heads.”

During the night students might have filled their time by competing in tournaments, racing in bounce houses, Just Dance, and/or doing the escape rooms. 

When the event was coming to a close, participants gathered for the closing ceremony. 

When Werner was told about the final amount she stated she felt “so proud, not even of myself but everyone who put in so much effort to accomplish our goal.” 

I just really love and appreciate what Mini-THON is supporting and what it does for the families. I have been around Mini-THON for my life and just always have been inspired and wanted to have a role to help.

— Erica Werner

When thinking about her time here, Werner says “reminiscing has just made me feel so gratified that I have had the opportunity to make such an impact.” 

All the money raised will go towards Four Diamonds to help find a cure for childhood cancer!