The Beacon

• March 134/18- Early Dismissal and Parent Teacher Conferences

• March 134/19- No School

• March 134/22- School in Session (Inclement Weather Makeup Day)

Breathe In, Breathe Out

Former Dallastown teacher instructs yoga at her own studio

Back to Article
Back to Article

Breathe In, Breathe Out

Participants are engaging in one of the many styles of yoga  offered at Twisted Roots.

Participants are engaging in one of the many styles of yoga offered at Twisted Roots.

Used with permission from twistedrootsyogaandwellness.com

Alexis Lee, Reporter

Most teachers look forward to retirement after a long career . However, one former Dallastown teacher decided to start her retirement early and pursue her passion for yoga.

While Christina Wilson was still teaching math at Dallastown, she completed a 200-hour certification program to become a yoga instructor. This changed her path, and resulted in her  own yoga studio in 2016.

Used with permission from https://twistedrootsyogaandwellness.com
Shown above is the owner of Twisted Roots, Christina Wilson

Twisted Roots Yoga and Wellness Center has been a place for meditation enthusiasts to come and practice since its opening in 2013. The name of the studio and its logo originates from a yoga pose.

“Trees represent the 8 limbs of yoga, so that’s why the logo has 8 branches,” Wilson said.

One of her fellow instructors, Monea Abdul-Majeed has been teaching at the studio for 2 years. She claims that, “After practicing for a while I wanted to understand the feeling I experienced afterwards, and I wanted to be able to give it to other people.”

From reduced stress levels to  improvements in balance and stability, the list of health benefits for yoga is never ending. Yoga can also improve an individual’s overall mental health.

In addition to the studio, Wilson added a wellness center. 

People are drawn to yoga for a physical act. Once you practice you get in tune with yourself. So that’s why it’s important for me to provide things like a life coach and massages for people who start to grow into that aspect,” Wilson said.

Students who frequently visit the studio also often participate in an aspect of the wellness center.

Mrs. Hains, a current Dallastown math teacher, has taken multiple classes at Twisted Roots.

“I took the Yin class at night, and I felt an overwhelming sense of calm throughout the class and when I got a massage afterwards,” Hains said.

Wilson introduced several new styles such as Bikram, Ashtanga, and Hatha since she took over the studio. Each type involves different stretches and offers various health benefits.

Participants enter the studio here and can begin their classes in one of the other rooms.

The Bikram style for example, is unique in that it takes place in a hot room. Throughout the session, there are a total of 26 poses that are completed twice.

The class begins with poses that involve the individual being in a standing position. After these are completed, back and forward bends and twisting poses accompany the rest of the stretches.

Classes like this and many more are what someone can expect if they decided to participate in a session at Twisted Roots.

To this day, Wilson occasionally substitutes at Dallastown, and continues to manage and teach at Twisted Roots. 

“Although I miss teaching, I appreciate that everybody  in the room actually wants to be there, it’s a feeling you just can’t beat,” Wilson said.