New Chapter for Loganville Springfield

A Dallastown elementary school to undergo renovations for space, safety, and general upgrades.

School Twitter

Students and staff from Loganville Springfield get ready to break ground for the new renovations.

After years of planning, the time has come to update one of Dallastown’s five elementary schools.

Loganville Springfield Elementary School was built in the 1952-53 school year, but it hasn’t been renovated in almost 50 years.

The school saw some some heating and cooling upgrades in 2005, but last official update was in 1972.

A facility study was completed in 2015-2016 to determine needs for the school. A committee comprised of teachers, parents, community members, school administrators and school board members made recommendations.

After board approval, budgeting, and hiring contractors, the new construction of the school is finally underway. 

Currently the elementary school is 56,665 square feet and when the renovations are completed the school will be 91,000 square feet.

There are a lot of new ideas to update and enhance the school. Loganville principal Dr. Kelly Kessler, is excited about all the new renovations, but especially the new area for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). 

“The STEM space that is being created and developed will enhance students learning in these areas,” Kessler stated.

According to the official press release from Dallastown Superintendent, Dr. Ron Dyer, the updates include additional classrooms, enhanced library media center spaces, a new cafeteria and gymnasium, and small group instruction rooms.  

The expansion will house up to 550 students with a current enrollment of nearly 470 students.

“The current classrooms will be upgraded with newer construction, cabinetry, lighting, heating/cooling, and other upgrades conducive to an optimal 21st century learning environment. The current cafeteria and gym will be turned into classrooms,” Dyer said.

These renovations will be beneficial to both students and teachers, who are currently utilizing any space they can find for instruction. 

“We have teachers and paraprofessional instructing students in closets, hallways, and we even use the stage as a learning space,” Kessler said.

The biggest renovation is the safety throughout the school. The new school will have a number of safety features utilizing the latest technology and building designs, according to Dyer.

“For safety reasons the updates to our front entry and access to student educational spaces are more secure and provide separation from the public spaces,” Kessler stressed.

The Pennsylvania State Police building next door also adds to the overall safety at the school.

There were also some unique “quirks” with the school due to its age.

“We often have leaks in the ceiling and animals like to nest in the rafters of our office area each spring,” Kessler described.

She made it clear, however, that Loganville is still a great school.

“We love our school and take great pride in making things work, even without some of the basic things other places might take for granted.”

Although it has been awhile since senior Liz Trulli has been there, she thinks the renovations are probably needed.

Trulli attended Loganville from 2006-2010. Since then, the school has not changed profusely.

While Trulli was in school, she never thought about it being outdated, but thinks the biggest problem is most likely the size.

“It could definitely be bigger because there are so many new homes in the area, and if it isn’t expanded, I feel that the school will become too small,” Trulli said.

The school used to be surrounded by rural area and now neighborhoods nearby have grown significantly, Logan’s Reserve is one example.

This $22.6 million renovation is expected to be completed around December 2020.

Photo Submitted
This photo shows the rendering of what Loganville Springfield Elementary will look like after renovations.