The Beacon

• March 134/18- Early Dismissal and Parent Teacher Conferences

• March 134/19- No School

• March 134/22- School in Session (Inclement Weather Makeup Day)

Spotlight On…Interact Club

Dallastown sophomore starts new club with the aim of giving back to the local community.

Members+of+Interact+plan+to+hold+a+bake+sale+to+donate+money+to+Rotary.+The+club+hopes+to+make+a+difference+in+our+area.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Spotlight On…Interact Club

Members of Interact plan to hold a bake sale to donate money to Rotary. The club hopes to make a difference in our area.

Makayla Calaman

Makayla Calaman

Makayla Calaman

Makayla Calaman, Reporter

Every student who goes through 10th grade English knows the struggle of finding a topic for the Informed Citizen Project. Informed Citizen asks students to research a way to make a change in their community, and Hannah Lancaster did just that.

After looking into Rotary International–a nonprofit organization that works to provide humanitarian services globally– Lancaster discovered there was no Interact Club for Dallastown and she “took off from there.”

Interact Club, a division of Rotary, is for 12-18 year olds to help develop leadership skills. There are currently 159 countries with a combined 20,375 Interact clubs, and Dallastown is now one of them.

All are welcome to join, and this can be done by contacting either Lancaster or Mrs. Fiocchi.

Fiocchi, teacher of the gifted and talented, is the advisor for the club and is working alongside Lancaster to make an impact.

Ready for the start of the new club, Fiocchi hopes that Interact will accomplish “helping the community” and that “the kids in the club feel like they can contribute and change lives.”

Interact meets every other Wednesday of the month in room 310 during wildcat periods.

Members of the club are currently interested in finding a way to donate school supplies for Crispus Attucks Center and Rising Stars program in Downtown York. This program is a non-profit organization that aims to provide humanitarian services, education, and affordable housing to help the quality of life for diverse populations.

Makayla Calaman
Pictured above is Hannah Lancaster during an Interact Meeting. During the meeting on February 6th, members discussed and planned the future bake sale.

In the following weeks, Interact will be holding a bake sale before and after school, and the money raised will go towards Rotary to provide medical help and education for multiple organizations.

After this, many more projects will be done. Lancaster said that her and members are “very excited to get started in making a positive impact.”

Sophomore Stephanie Lentz, member of the club and friend of Lancaster, said that she is “really excited for the future of Interact club and getting to serve the community with other Dallastown students.” 

Interact is an open opportunity for students to pursue the passion of getting involved in their community. Simply sending either Lancaster or Mrs. Fiocchi an email and signing up on Flextime Manager is a sure way to check out one of Dallastown’s newest clubs.