Instant Decision Day 101

How Instant Decision Day can take the stress out of the college application process.

Senior+Kobe+Green+is+one+of+many+Dallastown+students+who+have+taken+advantage+of+Instant+Decision+Days.+In+one+day+he+was+accepted+into+both+Lock+Haven+and+IUP.+

Photo Submitted

Senior Kobe Green is one of many Dallastown students who have taken advantage of Instant Decision Days. In one day he was accepted into both Lock Haven and IUP.

High school seniors all understand the anxiety and stress to apply to colleges and the nerve-racking panic of acceptance or rejection. But there is a certain day that can take all of that away– Instant Decision Making Day.

Dallastown’s Workforce and Career Planning Counselor Mr. William Probert explains, “Instant Decision Making Day is when a college comes here to meet with our students who have applied and decides instantly on the spot whether they are accepted or not accepted.”

This day is very important because it gives students the opportunity to meet face to face with a representative from colleges and not be just an application on a screen. Students also will feel at ease because they can be accepted on the spot instead of waiting for the mail to come.

According to Probert over 100 Dallastown students took advantage of this opportunity so far this year.

Probert also agrees that this event often makes it easier for teenagers that don’t necessarily like the online application process.

“The college application process can produce a lot of anxiety for students, so when we find schools that are willing to partner with us, it’s really nice because it takes that wait away from students. I’d like to think that the pre-session with us kind of explaining what you’re going to see (is helpful), and then when they go into the experience it’s lowkey.”

Having their interview at a student’s home school and support from counselors throughout the process should make students feel more courageous, confident, and prepared. The whole point is to make the college process easier for the student body.

Probert continues, “Just doing it right here where you’re comfortable and confident and you have people that can support you so that the anxiety is low — that’s the whole goal for our kids. The biggest part is to provide you with a better experience.”

The schools that come to Dallastown vary because some of the larger universities simply can’t do it because they have a bigger application process than others.

The college application process can produce a lot of anxiety for students, so when we find schools that are willing to partner with us, it’s really nice because it takes that wait away from students.

— Mr. Probert

“We get a lot of state colleges. We might even get some private schools. The smaller schools and smaller public schools will do it, it’s beneficial for them too because they don’t have to review a ton of paperwork on their end, they come right here to have access to you.” Probert says.

Dallastown senior Kobe Green was accepted into both Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Lock Haven in one day through Instant Decision Days.

“At first I was very nervous because it was my first interview and I don’t really come off as the easiest person to talk too,” Green said.

Although it can be nerve-racking talking to people to make a good impression Green gives advice to everyone who might be nervous when their time comes by saying, “Relax and be yourself, and to remember you’re having a normal conversation.”

Green says that he felt prepared for the process.

“The counseling office really helped, they sat me down and told me what to expect, they let me know a week in advance and gave me some ideal questions they might ask to prepare me for the interview”

He would recommend the process to other DHS students.

“If you don’t really know what college you want to go to participate in a couple of instant decision days, seeing what schools may have an interest in you will make you learn what you want in a school. Instant decision day really helped me make a decision on where I would like to attend.”

So, next time the feelings of stress and anxiety of applying to college comes in, Dallastown students should remember that there are always people to help options available other than the traditional application process.