Dallastown’s Fall Athletic Signing Day

On Nov. 13, six student-athletes signed National Letters of Intent, committing to continue their athletic and academic careers at the collegiate level

Ethan+Eckert%2C+Allie+Myers%2C+Emily+Schuler%2C+Peter+Capobianco%2C+Aniya+Matthews%2C+and+James+Kelly+are+six+Dallastown+student+athletes+who+signed+Letters+of+Intent+on+Nov.+13.++These+Dallastown+student+athletes+will+be+attending+college+next+fall+to+continue+their+sports+at+the+collegiate+level+and+further+their+academic+studies.+

Photo Submitted

Ethan Eckert, Allie Myers, Emily Schuler, Peter Capobianco, Aniya Matthews, and James Kelly are six Dallastown student athletes who signed Letters of Intent on Nov. 13. These Dallastown student athletes will be attending college next fall to continue their sports at the collegiate level and further their academic studies.

It’s every student-athlete’s dream to continue their sport at the collegiate level. For these Dallastown students, that dream has become a reality. 

The first Dallastown Athletic Signing date was Nov. 13, 2019, and six student-athletes signed Letters of Intent promising to continue their athletic and academic careers in college.

These letters bound the students to numerous college’s athletic programs inside and outside of Pennsylvania. 

“[Signing day] recognizes the people signing and their achievements,” said Josh Luckenbaugh, assistant director of athletics and activities at Dallastown High School.

This small group of students were the first this school year to officially sign to schools, and there are two more upcoming signing days in 2020: Wednesday, Feb. 5 and Wednesday, Apr. 15. 

Here are the athletes that signed this fall:

Emily Schuler- Cross Country and Track & Field

As a runner for Dallastown for the past six years- two years in middle school and four years in high school- Schuler has signed and committed to Temple University to continue cross country and track and field. She plans to study bioengineering as a pre-med major.

“I will miss all of my teammates who are now some of my best friends and the most supportive people I know. But, I’m looking forward to a much more individualized and intense training program and change in scenery,” Schuler said.

Allie Myers- Cross Country and Track & Field

As a member of the cross country and track and field team since 7th grade, Myers has committed to West Chester University to continue running as well as further her academic studies, primarily focusing on business. 

“I’m so excited for the change in atmosphere and for the new beginnings,” Myers said, “[But] I will miss the people and encouraging environment at Dallastown so much!”

James Kelly- Lacrosse

Kelly has played goalie in lacrosse at Dallastown for three years, with his fourth season approaching this spring. He has played club lacrosse for Maryland True Wolfpack during the fall and summer. “I’ll miss playing with the kids I grew up with,” Kelly said, “that bond between all of us can’t be duplicated.” 

Now signed to Methodist University, Kelly will continue playing lacrosse and will major in business marketing with a minor in sports management with a plan to become a marketing executive for a sports team. “I am excited for the new teammates, traveling, and the strictness [of collegiate athletics],” Kelly said, “It will keep me focused and make me a better athlete and person.”

Ethan Eckert- Lacrosse

Eckert has committed to Siena College to continue playing lacrosse and furthering his academic studies as a bio major. He has played defense on the Dallastown lacrosse team for the past three years as well as club lacrosse in Philadelphia, and he is looking forward to his fourth season with Dallastown this spring. 

“[I’m] looking forward to competing at the highest level,” Eckert said, “but I’ll miss being with the boys.”

Peter Capobianco- Baseball

As a shortstop and third base man for the Dallastown baseball team and a member of a travel team over the summer, Capobianco will be attending Gardner-Webb University to continue playing baseball. He plans to study exercise science and plans on becoming a strength and conditioning coach after college. 

“I’ll miss playing baseball with all my friends from high school,” Capobianco said, “but I am looking forward to meeting new teammates in college!”

Aniya Matthews- Basketball

As a forward on the girls basketball team and a member of the AAU basketball team for Spooky Nook, Matthews signed and will be continuing her basketball and academic career at Temple University. She plans to major in sports medicine.

“Though I’ll miss playing with my girls and the different bonds I’ve built with people,” Matthews said, “I’m excited to travel around the world; Temple’s WBB team went to Cancun to play over Thanksgiving!”

The next Dallastown Athletic Signing day will be Wednesday Feb. 5, 2020. Stay tuned for part II, highlighting the winter signees.