GLI Lends a Helping Hand to Those in Need

Dallastown’s Girls Learn International Club aims to lead discussion of homeless women by providing feminine products in high school bathrooms.

GLI+created+and+placed+baskets+of+feminine+products+in+the+women%E2%80%99s+bathroom+for+those+in+need.+

Makayla Calaman

GLI created and placed baskets of feminine products in the women’s bathroom for those in need.

In an effort to educate Dallastown students and staff about the everyday struggle of homeless women, Girls Learn International, a club that advocates for human rights and equality, provided girls at DHS with feminine products that they may have limited access to. 

Although the products were a welcome convenience for those in emergency situations or those who don’t have access to such products, Nautica Nolden, the President of GLI, hopes to create a larger discussion. 

Girls Learn International did receive a lot of positive feedback from students and faculty. It’s something we know is meaningful to those in this building. We just want to make life a little easier.

— Nautica Nolden

Think about this… Every woman has a menstrual cycle, but, not every woman has access to sanitary products. Throughout the halls of Dallastown, the streets of York City, and the world, as a whole, are individuals who do not have reliable access to these necessary products. 

“We simply thought that it would be a good idea to possibly help out students in this building that have limited access to these supplies that are a necessity. Menstrual products are expensive, as many of us know, and those that can not afford to simply take care of themselves deserve to have the same opportunities as the rest of us,” Nolden said. 

GLI was happy to receive positive feedback from students. Making a difference was their goal, and, due to the amount of success the trial run received, they knew they made an impact on the individuals at DHS.

Senior Kaila Alessi said, “It is one of the best things ever. I remember one of my friends having an ‘emergency,’ and it saved her.”

The trial program to provide menstrual products to those in need took place on Nov. 5 in the English hallway bathroom and was beyond successful. Students in GLI hope for expansion into other bathrooms in the school in 2020, but they need the help to continue this program.

Nolden said, “In the future we hope to continue this supply, but we need donations and source of stock for the bathrooms in order to continue.”

To make a donation of products, contact club advisor Mrs. Bonanni in high school room 122 or by email at [email protected]