Spotlight on…HOSA

New club offers opportunities for students who are passionate about healthcare careers.

Leader+of+HOSA%2C+Amani+Patel+poses+next+to+a+skeleton+in+Mr.+Goulds+room+where+much+of+the+clubs+activities+take+place.+

Photo Submitted

Leader of HOSA, Amani Patel poses next to a skeleton in Mr. Gould’s room where much of the club’s activities take place.

Junior Amani Patel knows that she wants a job in the medical field.

At the end of the 2017-18 school year, she decided to bring the nationally recognized club HOSA to Dallastown after realizing that DHS doesn’t offer any clubs for students who are passionate about health care.

HOSA, Health Occupations Students of America, provides opportunities to students interested in health related careers.

“I felt it was necessary to introduce an organization that could help to expose students to medical professions, as well as to educate them about the medical field,” Patel said.

According to the official website, “The mission of HOSA is to empower HOSA-Future Health Professionals to become leaders in the global health community through education, collaboration, and experience.”

“HOSA’s goal is to give students exposure to health care in a more interactive way,” Patel said. 

Club members may benefit from attending medical conferences, taking part in health-related programs out of school, participating in the school blood drive, and many other interactive opportunities.

There are no requirements to join the club. Anyone who is interested or who simply wants to learn more can join to see if its a fit for his or her career interests.

Mr. Gould, the teacher representative/club advisor, believes that this year is all about gaining recognition for the club and getting more students involved.

“I strongly believe that as a teacher I should always do what’s best for the student,” Gould said. And he feels that offering opportunities for students to learn, interact, and grow is what is best for students. He is excited to advise the new club.

As of right now, HOSA has a pending list of members interested to join, but they hope for even more. 

Students passionate about health care should talk to Mr. Gould in room 232 or Amani Patel to start their path to the healthcare profession.