Polyglots of PA: Bilingual Students Make History

On March 15, eight Dallastown students were awarded the Seal of Biliteracy, highlighting a growing program within the state of PA.

Brannigan Stiles

Moving from left to right are Dallastowns administrators, special guest speakers and PA Seal of Biliteracy recipients. Dr. Doll, Senora Garrett, Joao Abreu, Jarno Ottati, Francesca Croci, Maria Ramirez, Beatrice Piatesi, Madelyn Concepcion-Perez, Billie Ramon-Maldonado, PA Secretary of Education Noe Ortega, PA Second Lady Gisele Fetterman, and Carlos Rivas.

According to indeed.com the state of Pennsylvania has over 8,539 vacant jobs for bilingual workers and over 1,000 of them are in York County. 

Thanks to a new state program, several Dallastown students would be prime candidates for those jobs.

At Dallastown, it’s highly recommended that students take 2-3 years of a foreign language.  Some students choose to go above and beyond and take 4-5 years enabling them to fluently communicate in the target language. 

This then leads them to be at an intermediate or advanced level and have the possibility of receiving the Pennsylvania Seal of Biliteracy. 

The Pennsylvania Seal of Biliteracy awards students’ ability to communicate in both English and a second language.  This award recognizes diverse languages and cultures within the community.

The PA Seal of Biliteracy provides colleges a way to identify students entering with a high level of language proficiency, it also provides employers a way to identify bilingual candidates for the workplace. 

Dallastown High Schools World Language Department chairperson Senora Garrett believes that it’s important to award bilingual students with the Seal of Biliteracy.

High schools must prepare students to fill these jobs not only in PA but throughout the entire U.S. and internationally. The PA Seal of Biliteracy recognizes the need for bilingual workers and highly encourages career readiness in an ever-increasing global society.” 

Dallastown is one of only three school districts in the state that tests and provides qualified students with the PA Seal of Biliteracy.

Beginning in the year 2020, 17 recipients received the Seal of Biliteracy in eight different languages. In 2021, there were 11 recipients in five different languages. Now this year, 13 students were awarded and that number is expected to increase after the AP World Language Exam results in July.

Dr. Doll seen on the left is holding the certificates and medals to hand to the newly awarded students. Senora Garrett stands by the podium to call the students by name and put the medal around their neck. (Brannigan Stiles)

This year’s ceremony took place on March 15. Several news broadcasters attended to capture the historic moment for the eight students who were able to attend in person. 

The Pennsylvania Secretary of Education, Noe Ortega, spoke at the ceremony saying that learning a new language prepares students for the ever-growing global economy. It helps academic and social-emotional learning, problem-solving skills, and improves memory functions both long and short term. 

“We are beginning to realize how much our world is interconnected more and more every day. Now more than ever it’s critical that we prepare our students here at home for what’s out there in the global economy. No matter where they live and what town or city these students call home they have the entire world literally at their fingertips.”

The Pennsylvania Second Lady, Gisele Fetterman, also spoke at the ceremony defining herself as a polyglot. 

A polyglot is someone who knows and uses several different languages to communicate. 

“The ability to communicate and to relate to as many people as possible makes us better neighbors. Expanding our language portfolio is a service we pay not only to ourselves but to our society.” 

More speeches continued from Dallastown superintendent Dr. Doll and Garrett. This followed by a student speech from senior João Abreu, who is fluent in Portuguese and English. 

Having moved from Brazil in 2011 with below basic knowledge about the English language, learning multiple languages has always been important to him. 

“This award recognizes our ability to speak another language at an intermediate-high level of proficiency. The Seal of Biliteracy will not only impact my life in the future and many others sitting here today but it can open many opportunities in schooling and our professional career.”

In May, upon completion of the AP Spanish Language and Culture exam Abreu hopes to become the first student in Dallastown history to be trilingual. Having advanced skills in Portuguese, English, and Spanish. 

The eight students awarded at the PA Seal of Biliteracy ceremony were Joao Abreu, Jarno Ottati, Madelyn Concepcion-Perez, Francesca Croci, Beatrice Piatesi, Maria Ramirez, Billie Ramon-Maldonado and Carlos Rivas. 

Those awarded but were unable to attend were Andrii Kholod and Vera Pimentel. Since the ceremony, Lydia Tolerico, Christian Paschke, and Alexander Zhelezov have earned the Seal of Biliteracy.

Croci was overjoyed when receiving her award.

Francesca Croci (Left) and Beatrice Piatesi (Right) are two of Dallastowns foreign exchange students for this year. Both girls are from Italy and have grown up all their life learning multiple languages. They feel honored to be recognized for their talent and hard work. (Brannigan Stiles)

“At first, when we received the seal at the ceremony, I didn’t really realize what was happening but as soon as I got home and I looked at the award all of a sudden it all hit me. I was very happy that Dallastown recognizes the hard work and challenges us bilingual students go through. It was a nice feeling “officially” appreciated. I called my family in Italy right away to tell them the news.”

Piatesi also understands how this Seal of Biliteracy can help her in the future. 

“For me learning other languages is important because it gives you many ways to communicate with people from all over the world with different cultures. It gives you many opportunities in life, like jobs and further education”

Garrett says for anyone planning on learning a new language in the future to practice. 

“Immerse yourself in the language as much as you can.  Listen to music and watch movies/shows in the target language. Speak only the target language in your language classes.  Chat with native speakers online.   Practice vocabulary and grammar with online videos and sites that provide immediate feedback like Duolingo.  Practice, practice, practice, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.”

Dallastown is extremely proud of its students and the high school’s growing foreign language program. The PA Seal of Biliteracy ceremony was televised on WGAL, and Abreu was interviewed by the York Daily Record. 

Garrett as well as the rest of the Dallastown community wishes the best for these students. They have bright futures and many opportunities ahead of them by being bilingual. 

Abreu and Garrets interview with York Daily Record: https://www.ydr.com/videos/news/2022/03/22/dallastown-student-who-speaks-english-portuguese-and-english-looks-global-career/7133688001/

Several news broadcasters attended the PA Seal of Biliteracy ceremony at the high school. Ortega is seen here being interviewed by an all Spanish local news station. (Brannigan Stiles)