Courtyard of Honor Recognizes Past and Present Defenders of Our Nation

Since 2008, the middle school courtyard has honored Veterans and now, members of The Beacon are developing a project to highlight those honorees.

Beacon Staff Member

This concrete stone marks the Courtyard of Honor as a location that honors both past and present defenders of our country. The courtyard was completed with a dedication ceremony in 2011.

Envision a road under the school. How about an unused, grassy area? Or a courtyard dedicated to those who have served our nation?

Having once been all these things, the Courtyard of Honor at Dallastown Middle school has a fascinating past.

Water leakage in the basement from the walls inside the courtyard in 2001 prompted renovations, which created a space featuring a cliff of dirt that made the space unusable and unappealing. The area was out of commission for several years.

Previous Dallastown American history teacher Scott Wingard had other plans for the spot.

Wingard wanted to transform the “unused, ugly space” into a place that could be educational, purposeful, and recreational. After sharing his idea with Dr. Doll, the project to honor veterans and donors began.

Wingard envisioned the area as a place that would casually honor those who have fought or are still fighting by providing outdoor space for students to have classes, eat lunch, and engage in academic activities.

The Dallastown Area Educational Foundation led the construction of the $100,000 project and completed it in two years, ending with a dedication ceremony in September 2011.

“The space serves as a constant reminder of the sacrifices of those who served our country,” Wingard said.

Courtyard of Honor
Students from Dallastown High School’s Print Journalism and Digital Media class engaged in an activity where they identified several features of the courtyard, such as types of flags and facts about battles. (Beacon Staff Member)

Recently, students in Dallastown High School’s Print Journalism and Digital Media class observed the flags of military branches, plaques describing significant battles, and koi pond that the courtyard has to offer.

“I would advise future students to at least visit the courtyard of honor once in their middle school years. I think on veterans day the students at Dallastown should gather in rotations in the courtyard to remember those that have served,” sophomore Allison Fleming explained.

Experiencing the courtyard was only the beginning of their project to highlight various honorees. 

By publishing biographies and articles about both past and present defenders of our nation, The Beacon aims to raise awareness of those honored in the space.

“This is something the DAEF and Mr. Wingard have wanted to establish for quite some time now. They want the donors to feel their support is appreciated and wasn’t just forgotten about,” said Theresa Lewis, Community Relations Specialist for the Dallastown Area School District.

Beacon adviser and DHS journalism teacher Miss Gable agrees.

“When Mr. Wingard reached out looking to pair up with a group of students to write the articles, it was easy to say yes,” Gable said. “I think going into the courtyard as a kick off activity was really important. It allowed the students to learn more about the history of those honored, instead of just being a name on a page.”

Since Wingard retired from teaching, eighth-grade history teacher Jeremy Carter has overseen the courtyard.

Local business Splash Ponds has also been a crucial part of the courtyard, donating thousands of dollars for landscaping purposes. When not engaged in his work as a school board member, Wingard helps maintain the area in his spare time.

“It’s a community effort and is open to anyone who would like to use it,” Wingard said.

Generous staff, families, and community members of Dallastown pay for plates on various stones to honor individuals they feel should be recognized. There are still three empty stones, therefore Wingard aims to advertise honoring more veterans in the fall. 

In its few years of existence, the Courtyard of Honor has not only served as a place where students and staff can convene, but also as a dedication that highlights the significance of those who have sacrificed so much for our freedom.

The articles written by The Beacon will be featured on the DAEF Courtyard of Honor Website and shared on social media each month.

Courtyard of Honor Donation Form