Not Your Traditional Christmas Dessert

The World Language Department holds its annual Bûche de Noël contest.

Arielle Lebouitz

A Bûche de Noël is a traditional French dessert, most commonly eaten during the holiday season. It resembles a tree or log.

Dallastown celebrates a variety of holiday traditions that sprout from the roots of many different ethnicities.

Some holiday traditions such as student council spirit week and holiday assemblies are well-known, but there are a few more unique, less publicized traditions at DHS.

One such tradition is the baking contest that French/ German teacher Monsieur Hare sponsors. This is not just any baking contest. French students prepare, bake, and decorate a French log cake called a “Bûche de Noël.”

“This contest is a fun way for students to catch a glimpse of French culture while getting into the holiday spirit,” Hare said. 

Dallastown student Emerson Brockway with her winning Bûche de Noël.

A Bûche de Noël  is a traditional dessert served in many French speaking countries. It is most commonly made of sponge cake, and is then rolled to resemble a log. The end of the cake is often cut off, and placed on the top or side to resemble a branch. Along with texture, icing, and decorations as pleased. This cake can be extremely realistic.

On Wednesday, December 19, the Bûche de Noël competition was held in room 410. To compete, students had to be currently enrolled in a French class, but teachers also had a very important role. Throughout the day, DAHS staff stopped in the room, while also being served treats, with the opportunity to vote for the best cake decoration. Although judging was based solely on appearance and presentation, the classes had a chance to sample the cakes the next day. 

Thirty two students participated in this year’s contest, some working with partners. Junior Emerson Brockway took first place this year. Her cake consisted of a realistic looking bark icing technique, topped with powdered sugar and decorated with pine needles and pine cones.

“If Bûche de noël baking was a sport I’d be on the cover of Sports Illustrated,” Brockway said.

The second place winner was sophomore Hannah Lancaster. Her Bûche was topped with chocolate icing, sugar coated cranberries, and faux fondant mushrooms. 

Dallastown sophomore Hannah Lancaster with her second place Bûche de Noël.

“I made the cake with sugar, butter, and lots of love! It was difficult and at times messy. But it tastes and looks delicious. The hardest part was rolling the cake into a log. It was fresh out of the oven but I couldn’t let it cool,” Lancaster said.

All of the contestants put effort, love, and a sprinkle of holiday cheer into their cakes. Hare said he plans to continue the tradition next year.