The Counseling Chronicles III: Small Groups

Small groups better meet the needs of students in a more comfortable atmosphere.

Room+107+of+the+high+school+has+been+transformed+into+a+cozy+new+counseling+room+that+will+be+used+for+college+visits%2C+group+meetings+and+more.+

Larisa Samryk

Room 107 of the high school has been transformed into a cozy new counseling room that will be used for college visits, group meetings and more.

Sometimes, individuals may need extra emotional support outside of their “go to” people. Dallastown’s Counseling Department recognizes this and have created a solution. 

Since 2017, DHS has offered an easier way to talk about some common issues by creating small groups. Topics of these groups include Drug & Alcohol, Stress & Anxiety, Family Stressors, Academic Support, Self-Management, Attendance, and Grief. 

These small groups are run by high school counselor Mrs. Dixon and range from three to five students, however Stress & Anxiety is the biggest with 23 students. 

Each group meeting is between 20-30 mins and activities during the group include talking your feelings out, coloring, brainstorming ways to prevent the issues, healthy coping skills, and many more. 

Dixon said, “These groups are meant to be a safe place to vent to people in similar situations, but it’s hard to get students to come because they feel they will get in trouble, especially with the Drug & Alcohol group.  This is not the case. Student confidentiality protects those students who choose to come.” 

Each day there is a different topic in groups. Room 107 was dedicated to these groups. This room was decorated with lights, couches, plants, and more to give it a homey and comfortable feel. 

The goal is to allow students to feel comfortable so that way it doesn’t feel like just another class or a lecture from a counselor. 

“I have been to Stress & Anxiety and Family Stressors group. It made me feel safe and that I had the power to share anything without being judged,” senior Maddie Bentz said.

While most support groups seem time consuming, these are made to be flexible to fit the needs and desires of the student. It is not required to go to every single meeting and you can be in more than one group. 

Kaila Alessi
Every cycle day a small group is offered on a different topic of emotional needs. To join contact counselor Mrs. Dixon via email or by slip in guidance office.

“I stopped going to group, however it was like a very chill environment that was a space you could be vulnerable, but you didn’t have to. It felt very comfortable,” senior Mackenzie Brooks said. 

The counseling department started the groups because they recognized a need in Dallastown. The counselors encourage students to try them out or even recommend a group if it is not already existing. 

Dixon’s favorite part of group is “hearing students say they feel better knowing they are not alone in their problems,” which in the end is half the battle. 

This is the third article in a three part series of the counseling office with the other two articles attached below.