The Student News Site of Dallastown Area High School

The Beacon

The Student Newspaper of Dallastown Area High School in Dallastown, PA, since 1929.
Breaking News

The Beacon

The Beacon

Lax Shows Love

Boys and girls lacrosse joined forces to support the One Love Foundation.
The+doubleheader+game+was+Youth+Night+where+younger+players+were+able+to+support+the+high+school+teams+for+free+if+wearing+their+team+jerseys.+Photo+Submitted.+
The doubleheader game was Youth Night where younger players were able to support the high school teams for free if wearing their team jerseys. Photo Submitted.

In May of 2010, University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love lost her life at the hands of her abusive ex-boyfriend.

To cope with the tragedy, her friends and family started the One Love Foundation to “honor Yeardley’s positive spirit and to empower young people to see the signs of relationship abuse before it’s too late.”

In 2019, Dallastown students brought One Love’s message to DHS, and on Monday, Apr. 8, the boys and girls lacrosse teams held a game to raise money and awareness for the cause.

“As a lacrosse community, it is very special that we were able to do this because Yeardley was a UVA lacrosse player, and the One Love Foundation is tied very closely with lacrosse,” Dallastown One Love Club President Kendall Snyder said.

At the game, the club canned for donations, sold baked goods, and provided educational resources from the One Love Foundation. Players wore blue tape and ribbons to honor the foundation and Yeardley

According to club adviser Mrs. Epps, $250 was raised that night, but club members say raising awareness for the cause is just as important.

Dallastown’s chapter of One Love raised money and awareness at the lacrosse game on Apr. 8. Photo Submitted

“When entering high school, I had never heard of One Love or the One Love Foundation. Domestic violence is close to my heart, and when I heard about the foundation and Yeardley’s story, I immediately wanted to be involved,” Snyder said.

The doubleheader game was also Youth Night for members of local youth lacrosse teams who could get in for free wearing their team jerseys.

The boys team won 20-3 and the girls team won 22-0.

One Love Club hopes this is the start of a new tradition.

“We’ve done bake sales in the past, but this was our first One Love Lacrosse Game! We hope to make this an annual event!” Snyder said.